Shrimp Biryani – Spicy and delicate, full-flavored meal, made with fragrant basmati rice and shrimp! The warm flavors of fresh spices, turmeric, red chili powder and the sweetness from onions cooked in ghee make this an ultimate dish for lunch or dinner!
Note: This post from June 2017 was updated on June 2018 with new photos, step by step recipe photos and new cook time.
It is a crazy time of the year for my family and I am sure many of you are in the same boat. We have a 5th -grade and an 8th-grade graduation coming up. Several end-of-the-year activities that have made our days busier than ever. I cannot seem to keep up with my calendar.
As time is flying quickly than I would like, I want to make meals that my boys love but still do not take up a ton time and energy. I try cooking healthy, one-pot meals in my Instant Pot which has saved me a lot of time.
This easy Shrimp Biryani recipe, that my whole family loves, does not require any marination. The recipe uses fewer ingredients than the traditional Biryani and the simple process makes it an achievable meal for busy weeknights. I always keep a bag of good quality shrimp in my freezer that I can use in a jiffy. Full of flavors, every bite of this Shrimp Biryani takes me to my happy place!
steps for delicious INstant pot Shrimp Biryani:
1. Rinse and soak the rice for 20 minutes. Get the spices ready and prep all the veggies
3. Add ginger, garlic, tomatoes, potatoes, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well.
4. Add shrimp, rice and water. Mix gently, pushing all the rice under the liquids.
5. Close the Instant Pot and select the manual/pressure cook(LO) for 4 minutes followed by 3 minute NPR. Release the remaining pressure and open the Instant Pot. Gently fluff the rice.
Is this shrimp biryani gluten-free and dairy free?
Enjoy warm, one-pot meals? Try theSE Instant pot biryani recipes:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Spicy and delicate, full-flavored meal, made with fragrant basmati rice and shrimp!
- 2 cups long grain basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 8-10 black peppercorn
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger grated
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic grated
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 russet potato cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1-2 teaspoon mild red chili powder I used Kashmiri chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound extra large Shrimp 20
- 1/2 cup cilantro for garnish
- Rinse and soak the rice in 2 cups of water for 20 mins. Drain the rice after 20 mins.
Turn the Instant Pot to Sauté(More) mode. Once the hot sign displays, add ghee. Add cumin seeds, peppercorn and bay leaves. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add onions and mix well. Cook covered with a glass lid on for 3-4 mins, until the onions are translucent and light golden in color.
- Add ginger, garlic, tomatoes, potatoes, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well.
- Add shrimp, rice and 2 cups of water. Mix well, making sure all the rice is under the liquids.
Close Instant Pot lid with the pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Manual(low pressure) for 4 mins followed by 3 minute natural pressure release.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve hot with raita and lime wedges.
Although the video shows 6 minutes pressure cooking, for shrimp low pressure cooking works better and hence I have updated the new cook time using low pressure mode.
When short of time, you can also skip the pre-soaking of the rice. The new cook time is tested to work well for long grain basmati rice.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Pin it for later!
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.