Shrimp Biryani is a spicy and delicate, full-flavored meal, made with fragrant basmati rice and shrimp. The warm flavors of fresh spices, turmeric, red chili powder, and the sweetness from onions cooked in ghee make this an ultimate dish for lunch or dinner!
Note: This post from June 2017 was updated on May 2019 with new photos, step-by-step recipe photos and new cook time.
I love cooking meals that my boys love but do not take up a ton of time and energy. This easy Shrimp Biryani recipe, which my whole family loves, does not require any marination. Using fewer ingredients than the traditional Biryani, this Instant Pot recipe makes a healthy one-pot meal for busy weeknights.
I always keep a bag of good-quality shrimp in my freezer that I can use in a jiffy. For more details on where to buy shrimp check out this article from eatingwell.com.
- Although the video shows 6 minutes of pressure cooking, I have since tried cooking shrimp biryani in the low-pressure mode for 4 minutes followed by 3 minutes NPR. The new cooking time works better to avoid overcooking
- When short of time, you can also skip the pre-soaking of the rice. The new cook time is tested to work well for long grain basmati rice
- This Shrimp Biryani is gluten-free and can be easily made dairy-free by replacing the ghee with any cooking oil
Here are the easy steps for delicious Instant pot Shrimp Biryani:
Step 1 – Rinse and soak the rice for 20 minutes. Drain after 20 minutes and set aside (photos 1 – 2).
Step 2: Set the Instant Pot to Sauté mode and heat ghee. Add whole spices in hot ghee and toast them gently as they release the aromas. Add thinly sliced onions and cook them until they turn golden brown (photos 3 – 6).
Step 3 – Add ginger, garlic, tomatoes, potatoes, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala, and salt. Mix well. Add shrimp, rice, and water. Mix gently, pushing all the rice under the liquids (photos 7 – 10).
Step 4 – Close the Instant Pot and select the manual/pressure cook(LO) for 4 minutes followed by 3 minutes of natural pressure release. Release the remaining pressure and open the Instant Pot. Gently fluff the rice.
Enjoy hot with a lemon wedge and raita.
Raita – To make simple and delicious Tomato and Onion Raita, whisk the yogurt in a medium bowl. Add onions, tomatoes, salt, sugar and mix well. Garnish with cilantro.
Love this naturally gluten-free one-pot meal of Biryani? Here are my other Biryani recipes that are finger-licking good:
- Veg Biryani – Loaded with vegetables and soft paneer
- Chickpea Biryani – Delicious with protein-packed chickpea and can be made vegan
- Healthy Brown Rice Biryani – Healthier twist with nutty, chewy brown rice
- Riced Cauliflower Chicken Biryani – Low carb, keto biryani
- Chicken Biryani – EASY Instant Pot chicken Biryani with authentic taste
- Fish Biryani – Delicious way to get the heart-healthy omega 3 fatty acids in your diet
Instant Pot Shrimp Biryani
- 2 cups long grain basmati rice
- 2 cups water for soaking the rice
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large yellow onion thinly sliced
- ½ tablespoon ginger grated
- ½ tablespoon garlic grated
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 russet potato cubed
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pound extra large Shrimp 20 (frozen, no need to thaw)
- 2 cups water for cooking
- ½ cup cilantro for garnish
- Rinse and soak the rice in water for 20 mins. Drain the rice after 20 minutes.
- Turn the Instant Pot to Sauté mode and heat ghee. Add cumin seeds, peppercorns and bay leaves. Sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add onions and mix well. Cook covered with a glass lid on for 3-4 mins, until the onions are translucent and light golden in color.
- Add ginger, garlic, tomatoes, potatoes, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala and salt. Mix well.
- Add shrimp, rice and water. Mix well, making sure all the rice is under the liquids.
- Close Instant Pot lid with the pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Pressure cook(low pressure mode) for 4 mins followed by 3 minute natural pressure release.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve hot with raita and lime wedges.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking
Pin it for later!