Parathas in my family can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It’s everyone’s favorite dish that brings smiles, memories and a fun conversation that always leads to what stuffing we love in our parathas. This is my first paratha blog post and I promise many more with some unique combinations that we love.
While in India, my husband used to travel extensively for work. His most vivid memories while traveling in north India, that he tells us about, are of eating piping hot parathas on cold winter mornings. He loves dipping them with pickles and yogurt. My older son eats them without any condiments, while my younger son loves them with ketchup. For me, Parathas bring memories of my mom making them and the aroma of fenugreek leaves and ghee all over the kitchen as mom served them hot off the pan, ‘garam garam’ as she calls them.
There are lots of recipes for parathas including a variation of fillings that they can be made with. I do not have a favorite yet, as I feel like I am still discovering more. Today’s recipe uses fresh fenugreek/methi and sweet potatoes added directly to the wheat flour, along with some spices to make the dough. Sweet potatoes give these parathas very soft yet crispy texture!
Fenugreek leaves and sweet potatoes are packed with vitamins and minerals. Spices like turmeric, sesame seeds and carom seeds are known for their medicinal properties and health benefits. Whole wheat flour and ghee added to all the other ingredients make these delicious parathas a very healthy food.
While making dough only add a little bit of water at a time. Chopped fenugreek leaves can be very moist, requiring very little water to make soft pliable dough. This dough can also be refrigerated for 3-4 days in an airtight container and used as needed.
Prep time: 15 mins Cooking time:15 mins Total time: 30 mins
2 cups whole wheat flour for dough
1/2 cup whole wheat flour for rolling parathas
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp ghee
2 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp ajwain/carom seeds
2 cups fenugreek leaves
1 sweet potato
1 tbsp mild/kashmiri red chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
3/4 cup water
Salt to taste
- Wash and finely chop fenugreek leaves. Boil the sweet potato. Peel the skin off and mash the potato.
- In a big mixing bowl add 2 cups of flour, all the spices, fenugreek leaves and mashed sweet potato. Add 1 tbsp of oil. Mix well and knead soft dough with the water. You may need more or less water to make nice soft dough. Add remaining 1 tbsp of oil and knead the dough for couple of mins. Let the dough rest for 10 mins.
- Make tennis ball sized balls from the dough. Dip into remaining dry wheat flour one at a time and roll into round parathas to your desired thickness.
- Heat a griddle on medium-high heat. Put the rolled paratha on the griddle and cook on both side until the paratha turns golden brown and crispy. Apply little bit ghee on both the side.
- Roll and cook rest of the parathas. Serve hot with pickle and yogurt!
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.