Sweet, tart, creamy, and rich Mango Lassi. Here is an easy homemade Mango Lassi recipe using sweet mangoes and creamy yogurt. This popular Indian restaurant-fav drink can be made in just five minutes using a handful of ingredients.
The natural sweetness of the mango intermingles with the subtle tartness of unsweetened creamy yogurt, to create this utterly delectable and soothing drink. If this is not heaven, what is?
World over, Mango Lassi is one of the most popular drinks found on all Indian restaurant menus. If you are dining out, you don’t want to miss this one. This mildly sweet Mango Lassi will compliment your spicy Indian meal, and truly complete your dining experience.
What is Lassi?
Lassi is a cooling summer (we have it all through the year) drink made with unsweetened yogurt and sugar, churned to a frothy satisfying consistency. Sometimes the plain lassi is flavored with different ingredients to get interesting variations.
For instance, when you sweet mangos with plain lassi, the result is the super yummy Mango Yogurt Smoothie AKA Mango Lassi.
Fresh vs Frozen vs Pulp
Mango Lassi is one of the simplest drinks you can whip up at home. It needs just a few ingredients to make, most of which are regular pantry staples. Ideally, I would love to use fresh Alphonso or Kesar mangoes to make my lassi, but it is a seasonal fruit and not easily available outside India. Here are your different options:
- Alphonso Mango pulp, readily available at Indian stores and on amazon is my go-to option for this recipe. The pulp comes in a 30 oz tin and has a long shelf life, so it can be bought ahead of time. You can also store any unused pulp in an airtight glass jar for up to a week.
- Lassi can also be made with ripe fresh mangos. In the US, sweet and less fibery mango varieties such as Keitt, Kent, Altulfo, or Haden are perfect to make a gratifying glass of Mango Lassi.
- You can also make frozen mango chunks in this recipe. If the mango is not sweet enough, you may want to add extra sweetener while making the lassi.
A simple 3-ingredient Mango Lassi
Mango Lassi is super easy to make. It can be a fun kitchen project that will be awesome to try with your kids. It is undoubtedly one of the yummiest smoothies ever, and your kids are so going to love making it. All you need for this delicious drink are mango pulp, unsweetened whole milk yogurt, and sugar. Just blend together the above ingredients, and there you go...your delicious Mango Lassi is ready!
I also like to add a pinch of salt and some saffron strands to my mango lassi recipe. I like how the taste is heightened with these two ingredients. If you want to make this lassi for a party, simply add all the ingredients to a large, deep pot and blend using a hand blender.
- Alphonso mango tins from the Indian grocery store come in super handy for this recipe.
- If you do not find Ratna Alphonso Mango pulp, you can get the Swad or Deep brand Alphonso Mango pulp
Absolutely yes. In case you have run out of the Alphonso Mango pulp, feel free to use any fresh mango or frozen mango chunks to make your gratifying glass of Mango Lassi. Just make sure you pick a fruit that is sweet and pulpy.
Vegan Mango Lassi can easily be made by substituting unsweetened dairy yogurt with soy or almond yogurt.
Mango lassi is a good source of probiotics and is packed with nutrients and vitamins. It is good for digestion and boosting immunity. However, you do want to watch out for the added sugar.
Most variety of the ripe mangoes usually will have yellow-orange skin and a sweet aroma. But the best way to tell ripe mangoes is by gently pressing with your fingers. They should be soft and will form a slight dent on the skin.
Recipes using mango pulp
Mango pulp is one of the most versatile fruit extracts and can be a base for a whole lot of amazing dishes. I often make Mango Mastani, Mango Shrikhand and Mango-Coconut Barfi with the canned mango pulp. I also love making Mango Cheesecake in Instant Pot, it is one of my treasured recipes from The Essential Indian Instant Pot Cookbook and it was also recently featured by People Magazine in their April 13th, 2020 Issue.
And if you enjoyed this recipe, don't forget to check out my personal favorite homemade drink recipes.
Wondering what foods to pair with yummy Mango Lassi? Basically any spicy Indian foods, but here are a few dishes that I especially love to serve:
- Mumbai Pav Bhaji for a kid's party
- Aloo Chat for a Girl's night out
- Spicy Masala Burgers on Game Day
- Paneer Kathi Rolls on a Movie Night
- Tandoori Chicken for a BBQ party
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Mango Lassi Recipe
- Blend all the the ingredients together for 2 minutes in a blender. Add more water if you like a thinner consistency. Chill and Enjoy!
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.