Bhogichi Bhaji – A traditional Maharashtrian mixed vegetable curry with a spicy sesame sauce that celebrates the seasonal bounty of winter vegetables cooked in an earthy, aromatic sauce with coconut, peanuts and sesame seeds.
During my last Indian grocery store visit, a couple of weeks ago I found the traditional winter veggies for this recipe already available. So I decided to give them a try in the Instant Pot and bought the baby eggplants, fresh green chickpeas in pod, the Indian green beans (vaal). The only vegetable I was worried about over cooking was the baby eggplant. So I cut them a little bigger to adjust the cook time for the remaining ingredients and I was happy to see the veggies cooked so perfectly in the Instant Pot.
The traditional recipe uses 5 vegetables (eggplant, green beans, carrots, tomatoes and green chickpeas) pictured below, but feel free to substitute with any hardy vegetables of your choice. The sauce is very unique with distinct warm flavored spices and makes the curry delicious.
Check out more details on the three day festival of Sankrant celebrated in India and my original stove top recipe for this mixed vegetable curry that I posted 2 year back.
Here is the quick video on how I made it. Very important to deglaze the pot a few times:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Knows as Bhogichi Bhaji in Maharashtra this curry is made to celebrate the seasonal bounty of winter vegetables.
- 1 tbsp roasted dry coconut
- 1 tbsp roasted peanuts
- 1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp cumin and coriander powder
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 1/2 cup fresh green chickpeas removed from the pods
- 1 cup flat green beans cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 baby eggplant cut into quarters
- 1 tomato diced
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1.5 tsp teaspoon salt to taste
- cilantro for garnish
- Make a fine paste of all the ingredients from Part 1 with 1/4 cup of water.
- Set Instant Pot to sauté mode. Once the hot sign displays add the spice paste to the oil and cook for a minute stirring frequently. Add 1/4 cup of water and mix well.
Add turmeric, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, tomatoes and sauté.
Add remaining vegetables and salt. Add 1 cup water and mix well deglazing the pot making sure the curry paste is not stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Close Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Manual/Pressure Cook(Low) for 2 minutes followed by Quick release.
Garnish with cilantro. Enjoy with warm Roti topped with sesame seeds.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.