Spicy Panfried Pompano – Buttery mild white fish spiced with turmeric, red chili powder, ginger, garlic and coated with rice flour and pan fried to make the flavor packed fried fish.
Spiced, shallow fried Pomfret is a delicacy back home in Maharashtra. Pomfret, also known as pompano or butterfish is very popular in South Asia as it is abundant in the surrounding oceans.
In 2003, Arti, my sister from Singapore was visiting and while shopping at the local Korean store she noticed the fish, labeled pompano, in the seafood department. Arti makes the most amazing fish and was very confident it will taste similar to my favorite pomfret.
It had been years since I had the delicious fish. Arti, had the fish monger cut us perfect steaks and when we made it that evening it felt like I was back home eating my mom’s fried pomfret. Since that day, I have made pomfret in many different ways but this simple recipe is still my favorite.
I often pair this fried pompano with a mild, flavorful fish curry and served it with steamed basmati rice and homemade chapati’s for a wholesome meal.
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Buttery mild white pompano spiced with turmeric, red chili powder, ginger, garlic, coated with rice flour and pan fried to make the flavor packed fried fish.
- 1 large Pompano cut into 1 inch steaks
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger grated
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic grated
- 1/2 tablespoon red chili powder medium hot
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Wash the pompano steaks thoroughly and drain all the water. Apply lime juice evenly and set aside for 5 mins. Drain all the lime water out. Lime water will help take away any fishy smell.
Mix together ginger, garlic, red chili powder, turmeric and salt. Apply it evenly to the fish steaks.
- Add a pinch of salt, turmeric, red chill powder and garam masala to the rice flour and mix well.
- Heat a medium grilling pan and spread half tbsp of oil evenly. Roll the fish steaks individually in the rice flour, shake off any excess flour and arrange the fish on the pan. Apply the rest of the oil on top side of the fish using a brush. Cook each side uncovered on medium heat for 3-4 mins or until the fish looks golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with lime wedges.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live in New Jersey with my husband and two sons.