Fish Curry, a light and flavorful curry with coconut, tomatoes, turmeric and red chili powder is a staple in our home. Served with steamed basmati rice, it makes a quick and easy weeknight meal.
Most fish cook really fast and need very few ingredients to bring out the flavors making them a quick and healthy week night dinner option. This particular curry recipe is very simple and pairing it with aromatic Basmati rice makes it a wholesome and satisfying meal.
In this recipe I have used fillet catfish. Catfish is a moderately fatty fish with a good source of high quality protein and is an excellent source of vitamin B-12. It is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids. You can also substitute catfish with other mild fish such as grouper or barramundi.
Love fish? Try this crispy pan fried pompano recipe that pairs really with fish curry and steamed rice:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
A light and flavorful curry with coconut, tomatoes, turmeric and red chili powder, served with aromatic basmati rice.
- 1 pound fillet catfish
- 1 tablspoon lemon juice
- 1 tomato cut into 4 pieces
- 1 small red onion roughly chopped
- 4 tablspoon fresh grated coconut
- 1/2 inch ginger peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Wash and drain the catfish. Cut into 2 inch cubes and apply 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Puree onion, tomatoes, coconut, ginger and garlic to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a medium pan.Add mustard seeds and once they start to crackle add the onion and tomato puree.
- Add turmeric and red chili powder and cook on medium heat for 5 mins until the oil starts to separate stirring occasionally.
- Drain any water/lemon juice from the fish and add the fish to the sauce.
- Add salt and gently mix together the sauce and the fish. Cook covered on medium heat for 5 mins.
- Note: You may want to add 1/4th to 1/2 cup warm water to get the desired consistency.
- Serve with Hot Basmati rice and lime wedges!
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.