This light and flavorful fish curry with coconut, tomatoes, turmeric, and red chili powder is a staple in our home. Served with steamed rice, it makes for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
This post was first published in Jan 2016 has been updated with new photos, detailed steps, and a video.
I love how quickly fish cooks making it a quick and healthy weeknight dinner option. This curry is cooked with just a few ingredients to elevate the mild flavors of white fish. This simple yet flavorful curry pies really well with aromatic Basmati rice for a wholesome and satisfying meal.
In this recipe, I have used fillet catfish, a moderately fatty fish with a good source of high-quality protein and is an excellent source of vitamin B-12. Also, it is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids. However, you can substitute catfish with other mild fish such as grouper, barramundi, halibut, or cod.
To prep the fish, I rinse the fish fillet in some cold water and then pat them dry with paper towels. Cut into 2-inch pieces.
Here are some photos showing how to make this quick and easy fish curry in coconut gravy. Please scroll down to the recipe card for the exact ingredient measurements and steps.
First, puree onion, tomatoes, coconut, ginger and garlic to a fine paste.
Heat oil in a medium pan. Add mustard seeds and once they start to splutter carefully add the onion and tomato puree. Add turmeric and red chili powder and cook on medium heat for 5 mins until the oil starts to separate stirring occasionally. Drain any water/lemon juice from the fish and add the fish to the pan. Add salt and ½ cup of water.
Gently mix together fish in the sauce. Cook covered on medium heat for 5 mins. Depending on the thickness of the fish you may need to cook up to 10 mins. Garnish with cilantro.
Other favorite fish recipes:
- Spicy Malabar Shrimp Curry
- Tandoori Salmon
- Salmon Tikka Masala Skewers
- Instant Pot Shrimp Biryani
- Quick and Easy Shrimp Curry
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
EASY Fish Curry with coconut
- 1 pound halibut or catfish boneless skinles fillet
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tomato cut into 4 pieces
- 1 small red onion roughly chopped
- 4 tablespoons fresh grated coconut
- ½ inch ginger peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup water
- Wash and drain the fish. Cut into 2-inch cubes and apply 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Puree onion, tomatoes, coconut, ginger, and garlic to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a medium pan. Add mustard seeds and once they start to splutter carefully add the onion and tomato puree.
- Add turmeric and red chili powder and cook on medium heat for 5 minutes until the oil starts to separate stirring occasionally.
- Drain any water/lemon juice from the fish and add the fish to the pan.
- Add salt, water and gently mix together the sauce and the fish. Cook covered on medium heat for 5 mins. For thicker fish cook up to 10 mins. Add more water if needed to bring the gravy to your desired consistency.
- Serve with Hot Basmati rice and lime wedges.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.