Chicken tortellini soup – We love the quick cooking fresh pasta’s that can be stirred in hot soup and cooked instantly to make a flavorful meal that the whole family will enjoy. This chicken tortellini soup is our favorite combination of chicken and pasta loaded with vegetables for a winner one-pot week night meal.
Do you have half a bottle of pasta sauce sitting for days? Or that bag of spinach you bought for salad and never got around making it? This recipe is perfect ‘clean out your fridge’ recipe to use up some of those ingredients and make a satisfying meal.
It is hard to write just one version of this soup as it can be made in many different ways including a yummy vegetarian version.
Here are some variations for this versatile Chicken Tortellini Soup:
- Replace chicken with with your favorite beans or diced potato. I love creamy cannellini beans. Just reduce the pressure cook time to 4 minutes.
- Use dry pasta. For the vegetarian version, pasta and beans can go together and just adjust the cook time to “half minus one “of the pasta box instructions. Remember to quick release.
- Replace water with half broth and half water.
- Enhance the flavors with your favorite fresh or dry herbs and fresh black pepper.
- Stir in your favorite cheeses to make it creamier.
Here are our other favorite soups for this COLD february to keep you warm and also to help those runny noses and sore throats feel better:
Did you know that Instant Pot has an awesome app as well as site loaded with recipes from many talented chefs and bloggers? Check it out and we promise you will find one, two may be a dozen recipes you like.
Here is a quick video on this EASY Chicken Tortellini Soup using Instant Pot:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 medium carrots peeled and slice
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce we used roasted garlic marinara
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups water divided
- 10 ounces fresh spinach tortellini
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or fresh optional
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 4 ounces baby spinach or baby kale
- 2 tablespoon grated parmesan optional
Set the Instant Pot to Saute mode and heat oil. Add garlic, onion, carrots, tomato sauce, chicken, salt and 2 cups of water. Give a quick stir. Secure lid with pressure valve to sealing.
- Select the Manual / Pressure Cook (Hi) setting and adjust the cook time to 8 minutes. Allow natural pressure release. Open the Instant Pot, take the chicken out and shred.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup partially for about 30 seconds. Set Instant Pot to saute(more) mode. Add tortellini and cook for 2 minutes**.
Add shredded chicken, parsley and red pepper flakes. Add 1 cup of water(optional). Fold in spinach and bring the soup to a gentle boil. Press Cancel. Enjoy hot with grated parmesan.
For Fresh Pasta's saute mode using the instructions on pasta package works best as the broth is already hot.
For dry pasta's, use pressure cook option. General rule is to half the cook time on the package minus 1 minute. Quick Release. Then stir in chicken and greens.
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.