Chicken Tortilla Soup – A spicy and comforting Mexican soup loaded with tender cooked chicken, beans, tomatoes, corn and smokey peppers. Dress it up with your favorite toppings and serve with crunchy tortilla chips for a meal that the whole family can enjoy.
This Dump and ready Chicken Tortilla Soup is packed with flavors and has become a favorite weeknight meal. I am glad that my children are not only happy to eat this soup but also excited to cook it with this easy dump and go pressure cooker recipe.
What is a Tortilla Soup?
A traditional mexican tortilla soup is made with fried corn tortilla pieces that are submerged into a spicy broth made with tomatoes, onion, garlic, chilies and herbs. The soup usually also has beans, chicken, pork or other meats and is topped with avocado, cheeses and sour cream.
My healthy version of the traditional Tortilla Soup:
For years, as I have enjoyed this soup at several mexican restaurants. Some absolutely delicious and some no so impressive, I knew this was a recipe I needed to try at home to enjoy the flavors I like more often. I slowly started experimenting, and now have the easy dump and ready Instant Pot Pressure Cooker recipe that uses some of the ingredients from the traditional recipe and some other ingredients such as corn.
Variations for the Tortilla Soup:
- Use taco seasoning instead of paprika when pressure cooking the soup
- Substitute chicken with your favorite meat
- Skip cheese for a dairy-free tortilla soup
- Add Sour cream while serving the soup
- Add a squeeze of fresh lime while serving
- Substitute pepper jack cheese with your favorite mexican cheese
How to make homemade Tortilla Chips?
My family enjoy the Chicken Tortilla Soup with some crunchy tortillas. I love the homemade baked chips as they can be baked as you wait for the soup to be cooked.
Lightly brush the tortillas with oil and cut them into triangle pieces using a pizza cutter. Line then on baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes, turning once half way. Allow to cool completely. Note: I have a small convection oven that bakes food much faster than a tradtional oven. You may need to increase the bake time to 10 to 15 minutes.
And now on to the easy Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe:
- Cut 4 tortillas into small square pieces. Rinse and drain black beans. Add oil, onions, jalapeños, garlic, tortilla pieces and black beans to the Instant Pot.
- Add corn, fire roasted diced tomatoes and give a quick stir. Place chicken on the top.
- Add salt, paprika, broth and close the Instant Pot lid with pressure valve to sealing. Pressure cook for 8 minutes followed by 10 minute natural pressure release. Open the Instant Pot and carefully take out the chicken breasts. Shred the chicken using a pair of forks and return it back to the pot. Add cayenne pepper and garnish with cilantro.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute mode and bring the soup to a gentle boil.
- Enjoy the soup topped with diced avocados, cilantro, pepper jack cheese and baked tortilla chips.
Do you enjoy one pot meals? Here are some of our other favorites:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
A spicy and comforting Mexican soup loaded with tender cooked chicken, beans, tomatoes, corn and smokey peppers.
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 medium yellow onion finely diced
- 4 corn tortillas cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 cup fire roasted tomatoes or fresh tomato diced
- ½ jalapeno minced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 15 oz can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon paprika optional
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese shredded
- 1 avocado diced
- 6 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon oil
- kosher salt to taste
- Add oil, onion, tortillas pieces, tomatoes, jalapeño, garlic, beans and corn to the Instant Pot and give a quick stir. Add chicken breasts, broth, salt and paprika. Close the Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Pressure Cook for 8 mins followed by 10 minute natural pressure release.
Open the Instant Pot, take out the chicken breasts and shred them into small pieces with fork. Add the shredded chicken to the soup. Turn the Instant Pot to saute mode and bring the soup to a boil. Mix well.
Serve the chicken tortilla soup hot, topped with cilantro, shredded pepper jack cheese and baked tortilla chips.
Cut the remeining tortillas into triangular pieces using a pizza cutter. Line the baking Arrange in a single layer on a baking tray and bake for for 10-15 mins, turning them once half way through. Allow to cool.
- use taco seasoning instead of paprika when pressure cooking the soup
- substitute chicken with your favorite meat
- skip cheese for a dairy-free tortilla soup
- add sour cream while serving the soup
- add a squeeze of fresh lime while serving
- substitute pepper jack cheese with your favorite mexican cheese soup
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.