Rose Falooda – An ice cream float with aromatic rose syrup, cool sweet basil seeds, thin noodles, and cold milk topped with creamy vanilla ice-cream and nuts of your choice!
Summer to us means lots of watermelons, mangoes, lemonade and of course ‘Rose Falooda’ enjoyed with family and friends.
Rose Falooda is one my favorite thing to make for summer barbecue parties! This super easy recipe is a sure crowd pleaser with its refreshing flavors.
It does not require any cooking once you have few ingredients on hand – Rose syrup, sweet basil seeds, low-fat milk, cooked thin noodles (ok one quick thing to cook) and some vanilla ice cream.
What is a Falooda?
Falooda or Faluda is a ice cream dessert made by layering sweet basil seeds, vermicelli and sweet syrup over milk and icecream.
History of Falooda:
The origins of Falooda go back to Persia, where a similar dessert, Faloodeh was popular among the Persian population. The dessert came to India with the many Muslim merchants and dynasties that settled India and made it home.
There are many variations of Falooda but my favorite by far is the Rose Falooda with an easy recipe to basically assemble the drink.
Ingredients for falooda:
- Sweet basil seeds – also known as tukmaria these are seeds of holy basil found commonly in India. These seeds are rich in fiber, packed with nutrition and are very similar to chia seeds. Unlike chia seeds, sweet basil seeds are usually eaten after soaking in water. When soaked in water, they get gelatinous-tapioca like texture within minutes.
- noodles – thin noodles also called as falooda sev are made of corn or tapioca flour. Many people make their own noodles from scratch, I prefer buying them ready made. To use, simply boil them in hot water for 5 minutes, pour in a colander, rinse off with cold water and drain the water completely.
- sweetened rose syrup – a must in this recipe, to add the refreshing, floral rose aromas. Some of the brands that I recommend are Monin and Rooh Afza. Tip: This syrup can be used for making many refreshing summery drinks including my favorte – simple rose water with chia or basil seeds.
- The remaining 2 ingredients are milk (low-fat or whole milk) and vanilla ice cream.
How to assemble Falooda:
- Take a tall glass and put 2 tablespoons of the rose syrup
- Add 2 tablespoons of soaked sweet basil seeds
- Layer 2 tablespoons of cooked noodles
- Pour 1/2 cup of low-fat milk
- Top with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream
- You can optionally garnish with shaved pistachios or nuts
- Give a gentle stir and enjoy
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
- Bring a small pot of water to boil. Cook the thin noodles as per the package instructions. Pour in a colander and rinse them in cold water, drain all the water and set aside.
- Soak sweet basil seeds in 1/2 cup of water.
- Assemble the drink in 2 tall glasses by layering 2 tbsp of rose syrup, 2 tbsp of soaked sweet basil seeds, 2 tbsp of cooked noodles and 1/2 cup of milk. Put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. Sprinkle some chopped nuts. Stir gently and add more rose syrup if needed.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking