Sweet Potato Halwa – A delicately flavored, lightly sweetened dish with melt-in-mouth textures and aromatics from cardamom and saffron.
This right here sounds like our family when it comes to food-
“I could have killed you.” “Or I could have killed you,” Percy said. Jason shrugged. “If there’d been an ocean in Kansas, maybe.” “I don’t need an ocean—” “Boys,” Annabeth interrupted, “I’m sure you both would’ve been wonderful at killing each other. But right now, you need some rest.” Food first,” Percy said. “Please?” ― Rick Riordan,
Sweet Potatoes, A must-have vegetable in my kitchen, that has come to my rescue many times! This fourth of July happened to be an Indian festival of “Ashadhi Ekadashi” that is celebrated by fasting or eating foods that are usually not eat in meals. I am not a person who enjoys fasting but love feasting on the special foods made this day. So I did fast anyway, and hey why not when Mom is visiting?
Our menu included mouth spicy, crispy non-fry Sabudana vada with a simple yogurt-peanut based chutney, ginger lemonade, lots of fruits and a heavenly dessert/breakfast bowl of fiber-rich sweet potato halwa loaded with vitamins A and C.
Reasons why we love this Sweet Potato Halwa:
- good source of fiber and vitamins, with a lower glycemic index
- can be made vegan with oil and nut milk
- can be made-ahead
- Fasting friendly, well at least for us!
- easy and quick recipe.
A traditional stove-top dish that comes out with even beautiful textures in Instant Pot with half the cooking time! I slice the sweet potatoes, which is so much easier than shredded them, add all the ingredients, cook for 3 mins and it is DONE!
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
- 1-2 tbsp ghee Oil for Vegan option
- 3 medium sweet potatoes washed, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar more or less
- ¼ cup grated unsweetened coconut
- ½ tsp salt
- 6-8 cardamom pods
- 1 generous pinch of saffron
- Optional Garnish
- 1 tablespoon almonds and pistachio slices
Turn the Instant Pot to Saute mode. Add ghee, sliced sweet potatoes. Add almond milk, brown sugar, coconut, salt, cardamom, and saffron.
- Close the Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Press Cancel and select Manual/Pressure cook(Hi) and adjust the time to 3 minutes. Allow Natural Pressure Release. Garnish with nuts and enjoy!
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.