Delicately flavored and lightly sweetened sweet potato halwa is a perfect dish that can be enjoyed for breakfast or dinner. With melt-in-mouth creamy sweet potatoes and aromatic cardamom and saffron, this halwa is easy to make in the Instant Pot.
Sweet Potatoes is a must-have root vegetable in my kitchen. From adding it to curries and dal to homemade Indian breads, I love using nutrient rich sweet potatoes in my cooking. Traditionally sweet potato is also a “fasting” approved vegetable in India.
This 4th of July also happened to be an Indian festival of “Ashadhi Ekadashi” that is celebrated by fasting or eating special foods. I have always enjoyed the special fasting foods. This year will be particularly special as I can cook and enjoy a special meal with my mom.
Our menu included my favorite crispy non-fry Sabudana vada with a yogurt & peanut chutney and refreshing ginger lemonade. Mom also made this heavenly sweet potato halwa that is fiber rich and loaded with nutrients.
Reasons why you will love this Sweet Potato Halwa:
- good source of fiber and vitamins, with a lower glycemic index
- gluten free
- Make it vegan by using oil and nut milk
- make ahead recipe
- fasting friendly for my Indian followers
- easy and quick
I loved that mom used the Instant Pot to make the halwa instead of her traditional stove top recipe. We were pleasantly surprised with the beautiful textures in Instant Pot with half the cooking time.
Instead of individually shredded the sweet potatoes which can be time consuming, we sliced the sweet potatoes. Then added the remaining ingredients and pressure cooked for 3 mins. The halwa came out creamy and luxurious with half the efforts and everyone loved the flavors.
Here is a quick video showing how mom made it:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Sweet Potato Halwa- Instant Pot
- 1-2 tbsp ghee Oil for Vegan option
- 3 medium sweet potatoes washed, peeled and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar more or less
- ¼ cup grated unsweetened coconut
- ½ tsp salt
- 6-8 cardamom pods
- 1 generous pinch of saffron
- Optional Garnish
- 1 tablespoon almonds and pistachio slices
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute mode. Add ghee, sliced sweet potatoes. Add almond milk, brown sugar, coconut, salt, cardamom, and saffron.
- Close the Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Press Cancel and select Manual/Pressure cook(Hi) and adjust the time to 3 minutes. Allow Natural Pressure Release. Garnish with nuts and enjoy!