Carrot Halwa, AKA ‘gajar ka halwa’, is a sweet stewed carrots dessert with a delicate aroma of cardamom and saffron!
This year we celebrated mothers day with this delicious Indian dessert cooked in the Instant Pot! The traditional carrot halwa recipes uses milk, condensed milk or evaporated milk. Since this is one of my favorite desserts and I can’t stop myself from overeating, I try to make it a little healthier.
This carrot halwa recipe is can be made dairy free by substituting homemade ghee with coconut oil or vegan butter. Substitute the milk and cream with almond milk and almond flour making it a healthier lightly sweetened dessert.
Step by step recipe for Instant Pot Carrot Halwa:
- Peel and grate the carrots.
- Turn the Instant Pot to Sauté(Hi) mode. Add ghee and grated carrots. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Stir in almond milk and close the lid with the pressure value set to sealing. Set the Instant Pot to Pressure Cook/Manual(Hi) for 5 minutess. Quick release.
- Add sugar, almond meal, cardamom powder, raisins and saffron. Mix well. Turn the Instant Pot to Sauté(Hi) and cook for 5-7 mins until most of the liquids are evaporated.
- Garnish with sliced almonds or pistachios. Serve hot or chilled.
Substitutions for Almond meal in Carrot Halwa:
- Non-fat dry milk powder
- Condensed milk (skip sugar)
- Ricotta cheese
Here is a video on how to make this dessert quickly in your Instant Pot!
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
- 2 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil or vegan butter
- 10 carrots peeled and grated (About 6 cups packed)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 teaspoons cardamom powder
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- ½ teaspoon saffron
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds or pistachios for garnish
Turn the Instant Pot to Sauté(Hi) mode. Add ghee (or vegan butter) and grated carrots. Cook for 2-3 minutes with the glass lid on.
Add almond milk and close the lid with the pressure value set to sealing. Set Instant Pot to Pressure Cook/Manual(Hi) for 5 minutess. Quick release.
- Add sugar, almond meal, cardamom powder, raisins and saffron.Mix well.
Turn the Instant Pot to Sauté(Hi) and cook for 5-7 mins until most of the liquids are evaporated.
Garnish with sliced almonds or pistachios. Serve hot or chilled.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Looking for more recipes? Check out easy recipes for instant pot!
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.