This rich aromatic Thai Red Curry Chicken is on our repeat list for busy weeknights as well as relaxed weekend meals. This authentic-tasting red curry gets a flavor punch from sweet and spicy colorful peppers picked from our local farmers' market and is garnished with fresh Thai basil leaves.
From curries to rice dishes to noodles, we have been garnishing them all in abundance with our homegrown aromatic Thai basil - a star ingredient!
- I love using colorful peppers in this curry, but you can also add other vegetables like carrots, zucchini, sliced bamboo shoots, mushrooms, or Thai eggplant.
- Adding the veggies in the end and simmering them just for a few minutes keeps them crunchy and gives a flavor burst to this curry.
Simmered in coconut milk, and spiced with red curry paste; this easy Thai red curry chicken soup has a hint of sweetness and is loaded with crunchy, assorted peppers. Served with steamed Jasmine rice makes an easy meal that gets polished off in no time.
- Add 1 teaspoon ginger for some zest
- Squeeze fresh lime while serving for fresh tangy flavors
- Add Kafir leaves for a unique Thai taste
- To make vegetarian Thai Red Curry, substitute chicken with hardy vegetables such as butternut squash, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, or baked tofu. Simply quick release after the pressure cooking is complete so that the vegetables do not overcook.
Step by step EASY Instant Pot Thai Red Chicken Curry recipe:
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute(more) mode and heat oil. Add 2 tablespoons of red curry paste. Saute for 30 seconds. Add Chicken and mix it well with the red curry paste. Add coconut milk (Note for a less soupy curry, add only half the can). Close Instant Pot with the pressure valve to sealing. Pressure Cook (Hi) for 2 minutes followed by a 10-minute Natural Pressure Release.
- Open the Instant Pot, and stir in fish sauce and brown sugar. For spicier curry add the remaining red curry paste and hot peppers. Add onions, red, yellow, and orange to the pot. Stir in well. Set Instant Pot to Saute mode and bring the curry to a gentle boil (about 2-3 minutes). This will allow the veggies to stay crunchy. Garnish with the Thai basil leaves.
Serve with steamed Jasmine rice.
Here are more Thai recipes to try:
- Thai Panang Curry
- Vegetable Thai Green Curry Recipe
- Thai Massaman Curry
- Vegan Thai Massaman Curry
- Thai Green Curry with Vegetables
Check out this video for an easy Thai Red Chicken Curry recipe in Instant Pot:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Thai Red Curry Chicken - Instant Pot
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 to 4 tablespoons red curry paste Love Maesri brand
- 1½ pound thin chicken breasts cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 can low-fat coconut milk unsweetened (Love Trader Joe’s)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 jalapeno or Thai chili sliced (optional for spicy curry)
- 1 cup yellow onion sliced
- 1 cup red peppers sliced
- 1 cup yellow peppers sliced
- 1 cup orange peppers sliced
- Handful Thai basil leaves
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute(more) mode and heat oil. Add 2 tablespoons of red curry paste. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add Chicken and mix it well with the red curry paste.
- Add coconut milk (Note for a less soupy curry, add only half the can).
- Close Instant Pot with the pressure valve to sealing. Pressure Cook (Hi) for 2 minutes followed by 10 minute Natural Pressure Release. (Increase cook time for thicker chicken breasts to 4 mins)
- Open the Instant Pot, stir in fish sauce and brown sugar. For spicier curry add remaining red curry paste and hot peppers.
- Add onions, red, yellow and orange peppers. Stir in well. Set Instant Pot to Saute mode and bring the curry to a gentle boil (about 2-3 minutes). This will allow the veggies to stay crunchy. Garnish with the Thai basil leaves.
- Enjoy hot with Jasmine rice.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking