Thai Massaman Curry with tender cooked chicken and potatoes in a creamy flavorful sauce. This one pot recipe is easy make and you will have delicious dinner ready in under 30 minutes.
We love Thai food. Probably because of its similarities to Indian food such as the spicy curries, the coconut and the fragrant rice.
This Thai Massaman Curry recipe dates back to Christmas of 2008 when we were visiting our friends, Punitha and Winston, in Atlanta. It was our first time meeting Punitha and boy did she spoil us with her delicious cooking!!
On the last day of our stay she made an amazing Thai meal. The highlight of that meal was her extraordinary tasting massaman curry. I was surprised to see how simple the recipe was and it is now a repeat in my home . It comes out perfect and my boys gobble it up in no time. A quick weeknight recipe to served with steamed Jasmine rice for a perfect meal.
I love the canned Maesri brand Massaman curry paste with authentic taste and has just the right amount for this recipe.
I an excited to finally share it with you guys! Please let me know your feedback if you make it and hope you will enjoy it as much as we do.
This thai massaman curry recipe has a very unconventional way of cooking, compared to the Indian cooking methods. The recipe calls for sautéing the chicken in the curry paste and adding the coconut milk first. Next you add the raw onions, boiled potatoes and raw cashews. Stir all the ingredients and cook on medium low heat.
In addition to this stove top recipe, now I also have an Instant Pot Chicken Massaman Curry Recipe. So if you enjoy cooking in your Pressure cooker, do check out the new hands-off recipe too.
Step by step recipe to make the best Chicken Massaman Curry:
Step1: Heat up cooking oil and add the massaman curry paste to it. Cook for a minute and then add the chicken cubes to it.
Step 2: Cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes and then add the coconut milk to it. Mix well and cook it covered for 5-10 minutes.
Step 3: Add the onions, boiled cubed potatoes, cashews and brown sugar to it. The recipe calls for a teaspoon of fish sauce which can be skipped if you do not like the slight fishy taste.
Step 4: Mix everything together and cook covered for 10 minutes on medium heat. Turn the heat off and enjoy hot Thai massaman curry with some Thai Jasmine rice!
Did you enjoy the warm comforting flavors of this curry? Here are some chicken curries you may enjoy:
- Thai Red Curry – With Chicken and vegetables
- Doro Wat – Spicy Ethiopian Chicken Stew
- Mom’s Chicken Curry – Made with homemade masala or Curry Paste
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Thai Massaman Curry
- Heat cooking oil in a medium pan and add the massaman curry paste to it. Cook for a minute and then add the chicken cubes to it.
- Cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes. Add coconut milk to it, mix well and cook it covered for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the onions, boiled cubed potatoes , cashews and brown sugar to it. The recipe also call for a teaspoon of fish sauce which I have skipped at times, so if you are not big on fish sauce feel free to skip it.
- Mix everything together and cook covered for 10 minutes on medium heat. Turn the heat off and the curry is ready to be enjoyed with steamed Jasmine rice.