Thai Massaman Curry with tender cooked chicken and potatoes in a creamy flavorful sauce. This one-pot recipe is easy to make and you will have a delicious dinner ready in under 30 minutes.
We love Thai food. Probably because of its similarities to Indian food such as spicy curries, coconut, and fragrant rice.
This Thai Massaman Curry recipe dates back to Christmas of 2008 when we were visiting our friends, Punitha and Winston, in Atlanta. It was our first time meeting Punitha and boy did she spoil us with her delicious cooking!!
On the last day of our stay, she made an amazing Thai meal. The highlight of that meal was her extraordinary-tasting massaman curry. I was surprised to see how simple the recipe was and it is now a repeat in my home. It comes out perfect and my boys gobble it up in no time. A quick weeknight recipe to serve with steamed Jasmine rice for a perfect meal.
What is Massaman Curry?
Massaman Curry is a combination of Thai and Indian curries. It features Thai ginger or Siamese ginger with the Indian spices of cumin, coriander, and cardamom. People normally add either peanuts or cashews to the curry to give it a nutty flavor. Thai Massaman Curry can be prepared with meats such as chicken, beef, and lamb or can be completely plant-based like this vegan massaman curry recipe.
- Maesri brand Massaman curry paste - Adds all the essential spices and ingredients to make it authentic tasting and it does not have any fish products. Available in Asian grocery stores and amazon. authentic taste and has just the right amount for this recipe.
- Chicken - I like to use boneless chicken breasts but you can also make it with chicken thighs or other meat of choice
- Potato - adds creamy textures making the curry hearty and satisfying
- Cashews - optional if you are allergic but I love the nuttiness they add to the curry
This Thai massaman curry recipe has a very unconventional way of cooking, compared to the Indian cooking methods. The recipe calls for sautéing the chicken in the curry paste and adding the coconut milk first. Next, you add the raw onions, boiled potatoes, and raw cashews. Stir all the ingredients and cook on medium-low heat.
How to Make Thai Massaman Curry
Step1: Heat up cooking oil and add the massaman curry paste to it. Cook for a minute on high heat and then add the chicken cubes to it.
Step 2: Cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the coconut milk to it. Mix well and cook it covered for 5-10 minutes.
Step 3: Add the onions, boiled cubed potatoes, cashews, and brown sugar to it. The recipe calls for a teaspoon of fish sauce which can be skipped if you do not like the slightly fishy taste.
Step 4: Mix everything together and cook covered for 10 minutes on medium heat. Turn the heat off and enjoy hot Thai massaman curry with steamed Jasmine rice.
How to Serve
Serve Massaman curry with steamed Jasmine rice and squeeze fresh lime juice on top.
Tips and Substituions
- Coconut Milk - Use full-fat unsweetened coconut milk for a thick and creamy curry. For a light curry use low-fat coconut milk
- Fish Sauce - Adds umami flavors but feel free to skip it if you do not like the fishy taste
- Vegetables - baby corn, carrots, red bell pepper, or broccoli can be added along with potatoes
- Meatless option - Try my delicious Vegan Massaman Curry which is completely plant-based or substitute chicken with air-fried extra firm tofu.
- Make-ahead - This curry can be made ahead, simply refrigerate for up to 5 days and reheat as needed
More Thai Curries To Try
- Thai Panang Curry
- Red Curry with Chicken
- Green Curry with Vegetables
- Vegetarian Massaman Curry
- Instant Pot Chicken Massaman Curry
More Chicken Curry Recipes
- Doro Wat - Spicy Ethiopian Chicken Stew
- Kadai Chicken - North Indian Chicken Curry
- Mom's Chicken Curry - Made with onion and coconut-based masala
- Keema Curry - Curried Ground Chicken
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Thai Massaman Curry Recipe
- Heat cooking oil in a medium pan and add the massaman curry paste to it. Cook for a minute and then add the chicken cubes to it.
- Cook the chicken for 2-3 minutes. Add coconut milk to it, mix well and cook it covered for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the onions, boiled cubed potatoes , cashews and brown sugar to it. The recipe also call for a teaspoon of fish sauce which I have skipped at times, so if you are not big on fish sauce feel free to skip it.
- Mix everything together and cook covered for 10 minutes on medium heat. Turn the heat off and the curry is ready to be enjoyed with steamed Jasmine rice.