Indian Spiced Stuffed Okra is a lip smacking entree dish, with a dramatic combination of spices and ground peanuts filled delicately into fresh slit okra. Cooked to a delightful crispness and garnished with chopped cilantro, this dish is best served with hot rotis or Indian flat bread.
Stuffed Okra never fails to be a mealtime pleaser, and your family will love you for serving this up. With a little initial prep, this dish will be ready in under 15 minutes, just as you are setting up your dinner table.
Visually brilliant and incredibly high on flavors, this is my favorite version of the very versatile okra or bhindi as we call it in India. Okra is one of the most loved vegetables and amongst all the popular Indian okra recipes, stuffed or bharwa bhindi and bhindi masala top the list. Other popular okra entree dishes are dahi bhindi (pan fried okra in a creamy yogurt gravy), tawa bhindi (sautéed okra with onions and tomatoes) and kurkuri bhindi (crisp fried spiced okra). Watch this space for more okra recipes in the coming months.
Benefits of eating okra:
Okra is simply delicious, and also has a plethora of health benefits. This nutrient rich vegetable is packed with Vitamin C, folic acid, potassium and magnesium. Vitamin C reduces the risk of heart disease, while potassium helps build muscle and break down carbs into energy.
Traversing through India, you will find a variety of mouth-watering recipes to make the bharwa bhindi alone. Here is my version of the Maharashtrian Stuffed Okra, and my boys claim his is the best of all 🙂
Ministry Of Curry’s Pro Tips on how to cook the perfect okra:
- Wash the okra first, and then dry them really well before you start cutting them.
- Use a clean dry cutting board and knife. If you notice the knife getting sticky, clean with a kitchen towel.
- If the okra is long, cut it into half after making the vertical slits. This makes it easy to sauté, and also easier for kids to scoop up with fresh rotis in every bite.
- Add the stuffed okra pieces to the pan, sauté slightly and allow to cook over low heat. Do not over stir, as stirring frequently may make the dish sticky. Note: A non-stick frying pan works really well for this recipe.
- Cover the pan while cooking, as this will speed up the cooking time. However, for sliced okra recipes I recommend cooking uncovered.
Step by step recipe for Indian Spiced Stuffed Okra:
Step 1: Wash and dry the okra completely. Tip – always use a dry cutting board and knife.
Step 2: Cut the top and bottom off
Step 3: Make a vertical slit on each okra, taking care not to split them in half. If the okra is long, cut it into half after making the vertical slits.
Step 4: Make the stuffing by mixing coarsely ground peanuts, red chili powder, turmeric, ground cumin, ground coriander, chopped fresh cilantro and salt. Fill the stuffing in the okra slit carefully making sure not to split them in half.
Step 5: After stuffing all the okra, add oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat. Save any leftover stuffing to the side. Add the stuffed okra in the pan and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes stirring gently couple of times. Sprinkle leftover stuffing on the cooked okra and stir gently for 2 to 3 minutes.
If you love Indian curries and stir fries, do checkout these delicious recipes:
- Stuffed eggplant – Curried eggplant with onion and spices
- Instant Pot stuffed eggplant – Easy version of a traditional stuffed eggplant
- Tindora Fry – Tendli stir fried with cashews and coconut
- Aloo Gobi – Stir fried cauliflower and potato curry
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Okra stuffed with ground peanuts, turmeric and red chili powder and pan fried over medium heat for a crispy flavor-bursting side dish to enjoy with fluffy roti’s.
- Wash and dry the okra. Cut the top and bottom off. Make a vertical slit on each okra, taking care not to split them in half.
- Make the stuffing by mixing ground peanuts, red chili powder, ground cumin ground coriander, turmeric, cilantro and salt.
- Fill the stuffing in the okra slit carefully making sure not to split them in half.
- Once all the okras are stuffed, add oil in a pan over medium heat. Save any leftover stuffing to the side.
Add the stuffed okra in the pan and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes stirring gently couple of times. If there is any leftover stuffing sprinkle it over the cooked okras and give it a gentle stir cooking for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Use Fresh Okra for this recipe instead of frozen
- Dry the okra really well before cutting
- Use a dry cutting board and knife
- Cook uncovered
- Do not over stir while cooking
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram. We would love to see it and our followers will enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking.