Carrot Makhana Kheer is a delicious pudding made with healthy, gluten-free fox nuts. The creamy kheer is cooked with milk, and carrots and laced with the floral essences of cardamom and saffron.
My mom recently introduced me to Makhana when she brought a bag of Makhanas with her from India. It truly amazes me to see her incorporate new ingredients into her cooking every year!
While we were trying out many of her recipes using the Instant Pot, we also decided to try this Makhana Kheer. The result was simply amazing and the heavenly kheer was ready in just 30 minutes!
What is Makhana?
Makhanas, also called fox nuts, or lotus seeds, come from a plant called Euryale Fox. These seeds are used in India to make sweet and savory dishes and are used to make special fasting foods. They are gluten-free, low-calorie, and low in sodium.
How to use Makhana
Makhanas can be simply roasted with a little ghee, salt, and turmeric to enjoy as a crunchy snack. Mom also made us a delicious Kaju Makhana curry that I cannot wait to learn and share with you. Today I am excited to share her carrot makhana kheer with vegan options.
Here is an Instant Pot Carrot Makhana Kheer recipe, which is also easy to cook on a stovetop:
More Indian Dessert Recipes:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate
Carrot Makhana Kheer - Instant Pot
- Turn Instant Pot to Sauté(more) mode and heat half of the ghee.
- Add makhana's and roast for about 5 minutes or until they turn light golden brown. Take the roasted makhana out and allow them to cool. Reserve half cup of makhane for garnish. Crush the remaining roasted makhana coarse by pulsing then in the food processor for 1-2 times.
- Add remaining ghee or oil and cashews. Roast the cashews for 2-3 minutes. Take the cashews out and save them for garnishing.
- Add shredded carrots and sauté them in the ghee or oil for a minute.
- Add the crushed makhana to the Instant Pot.
- Add milk, cardamom powder, saffron and sugar. Give a quick Stir.
- Close Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Set Instant Pot to Pressure Cook/Manual(Low Pressure) for 10 minutes.
- Open the lid after 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Stir in the roasted cashews. Garnish with reserved makhana. Serve warm or chilled.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥