Carrot Makhana Kheer – A deliciously creamy dessert made with the healthy, gluten free fox nuts cooked with milk, carrots with the floral essences of cardamom and saffron.
A brand new nut that was introduced to me only this past summer, by no other than my mom, who continues discover new foods without ever getting on google or the Internet. It truly amazes me how much she knows about food and how many new ingredients she incorporates in her cooking every year!
Makhana or Fox nuts are part of a lotus flowers. There are some amazing articles out there explaining the process of how these are harvested and packaged. These makhana are also approved as a fasting food.
My mom brought a large bag when she arrived from India and roasted many of them with little ghee, salt and turmeric as yummy and crunchy snack of the boys. They are gluten-free, low-calorie and low sodium nuts making them ideal to incorporate in our diets. In addition to serving them as a snack she also made us a delicious curry and this carrot makhana kheer with vegan options.
Here is an Instant Pot Carrot Makhana Kheer recipe, which is also easy to cook on stove top:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate
Carrot Makhana Kheer - Instant Pot
- Turn Instant Pot to Sauté(more) mode. Add 1 tablespoon of ghee or oil.
- Add makhana's and roast them in the ghee or oil for about 5 minutes or until they turn golden brown. Take the roasted makhana out and allow them to cool. Reserve half cup of makhane for garnish. Crush the remaining roasted makhana coarse by pulsing then in the food processor for 1-2 times.
- Add remaining ghee or oil and cashews. Roast the cashews for 2-3 minutes. Take the cashews out and save them for garnishing.
- Add shredded carrots and sauté them in the ghee or oil for a minute.
- Add the crushed makhana to the Instant Pot.
- Add milk, cardamom powder, saffron and sugar. Give a quick Stir.
- Close Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Set Instant Pot to Pressure Cook/Manual(Low Pressure) for 10 minutes.
- Open the lid after 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Stir in the roasted cashews. Garnish with reserved makhana.
- Enjoy warm or chilled!
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live in New Jersey with my husband and two sons.