EASY Lasagna Soup with all the yummy flavors from the classic lasagna with an easy one-pot recipe. This cozy, warm lasagna soup is quick, filling and makes a delicious meal. Stir in parmesan, ricotta and mozzarella cheese in the end as per your preference to make it a creamy or light dish.
We enjoy the traditional classic, lasagna and often make a large tray that is baked in the oven. Although the flavors are amazing, most days are just too busy to cook it the traditional way.
This is when I started making it as a one-pot soup which does not need pre-boiling the sheets and spending time layering. Instead I pressure cook all the ingredients together and then stir in the cheese. The soup is also a good way to make it more or less cheesy for a lighter meal.
MOC PRO TIP
I have used Barilla Lasagne noodles in this recipe which has a stove top cook time of 8 minutes. To pressure cook the noodles aldente, I reduce the stove cook time into half. Hence the pressure cook time used in this recipe is 4 minutes. You can use any type of pasta by simply cutting the cook time by half and using that as the pressure cook time.
Here is the Step by Step Instant Pot Lasagna Soup Recipe:
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode and add oil, garlic, onions and crushed pepper flakes. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add ground chicken and mix well breaking the chicken in the pot. Cook for 2 minutes and then stir in diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce
- Add chicken broth, parsley, oregano and bay leaf. Break lasagna noodles and add the, along with the salt. Stir everything well. Close the Instant Pot with Pressure Valve to sealing. Select Pressure Cook (Hi) and adjust the time to 4 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle completes quick release and open the Instant Pot and stir in spinach and ricotta cheese.
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode and cook for another 2-3 mins. Serve hot with grated mozzarella, parmesan and basil leaves.
Don’t have an Instant Pot? Here is how to make it on stove top:
- Follow the recipe as is, except add an extra cup of water or broth along with the pasta noodles.
- Cook the pasta uncovered for the cook time specified on the pasta package.
To make vegetarian Lasagna Soup, simply skip the ground chicken and add 2 cups of diced zucchini, diced mushrooms or mixed diced peppers instead. Replace chicken broth with vegetarian broth or just add water and adjust the salt accordingly.
Here are some of my other favorite Italian recipes using the Instant Pot:
- Spinach Mushroom Lasagna
- Pasta Caprese
- Pasta e Fagioli
- Homemade Penne Alla Vodka
- Pasta with Creamy Tomato Sauce
- Chicken Marsala
Lasagna Soup – Instant Pot
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper more for spicier soup
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 3 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Indian bay leaf
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles about 10 noodles, broken into pieces
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach or 12 oz fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan grated, for topping
- 1/2 cup mozzarella shredded, for topping
- handful fresh basil chopped
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode and add oil, garlic, onions and crushed pepper flakes. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add ground chicken and mix well breaking the chicken in the pot. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, parsley, oregano and bay leaf. Add lasagna pieces and salt. Stir everything well.
- Close the Instant Pot with Pressure Valve to sealing. Select Manual/Pressure Cook(Hi) and adjust the time to 4 minutes. Quick release the pressure.
- Open the Instant Pot and stir in spinach and ricotta cheese. Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode and cook for another 2-3 mins. Serve hot with grated mozzarella, parmesan and basil leaves.