EASY Lasagna Soup with all the yummy flavors from the classic lasagna with an easy one-pot recipe. This cozy, warm lasagna soup is quick, filling, and makes a delicious meal. Stir in the ricotta, parmesan, and mozzarella cheese in the end as per your preference to make it a creamy or light meal.
"Made this last night and it was bomb. Like a fancier, more delicious Chef Boyardee lol. My grocery store didn’t have ground chicken so I went with beef, and I used an entire box of Campanella instead of lasagne noods. 5/5 will make again"
We enjoy the traditional classic, lasagna and often make a large tray that is baked in the oven. Although the flavors are amazing, most days are just too busy to cook it the traditional way.
This is when I started making it as a one-pot soup that does not need pre-boiling the sheets and spending time layering. Instead, I pressure-cook all the ingredients together and then stir in the cheese. The soup is also a good way to make it more or less cheesy for a lighter meal.
Cooking Pasta in the Instant Pot
I have used Barilla Lasagne noodles in this recipe which has a stovetop cook time of 8 minutes. To pressure cook the noodles al dente, I reduce the stove cook time in half. Hence the pressure cook time used in this recipe is 4 minutes. You can use any type of pasta by simply cutting the cooking time by half and using that as the pressure cook time.
✔️ EASY one-pot recipe perfect for weeknight meals
✔️ Kid Approved
✔️ No need to pre-boil the pasta noodles, only one pot to clean
✔️ Mostly hands-free recipe
This recipe uses mostly the same ingredients that are used in classic lasagna:
- Ground Chicken - I like to use ground chicken in this recipe but you can use your favorite ground meat
- Lasagna Noodles - These noodles have a nice texture and bite to them after pressure cooking. Note: do not use the oven-ready no-boil noodles
- Cheese - The best part of this recipe is the amount of cheese you add to it. All of the cheese is added after the soup is cooked and you can add more or less, to suit your taste
- Baby Spinach - Great way to get lots of greens in your meal. Simply chop it up and stir it in the end. You can also use frozen chopped spinach
Here is the Step by Step Recipe:
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode and add oil, garlic, onions, and crushed pepper flakes. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add ground chicken and mix well breaking the chicken into the pot. Cook for 2 minutes and then stir in diced tomatoes and tomato sauce
- Add chicken broth, parsley, oregano, and bay leaf. Break lasagna noodles and add them, along with the salt. Stir everything well. Close the Instant Pot with the Pressure Valve to sealing. Select Pressure Cook (Hi) and adjust the time to 4 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle completes quick release and open the Instant Pot and stir in spinach and ricotta cheese.
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode and cook for another 2-3 mins. Serve hot with grated mozzarella, parmesan, and basil leaves.
Lasagna soup is best enjoyed hot. Sprinkle some chopped parsley and red chili flakes for a hearty meal
The soup will continue to thicken up as it cools down. When reheating add some warm water or broth. Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or can be frozen for longer shelf life.
Don't have an Instant Pot? Here is how to make it on the stovetop:
- Follow the recipe as is, except add an extra cup of water or broth along with the pasta noodles.
- Cook the pasta uncovered for the cook time specified on the pasta package.
To make vegetarian Lasagna Soup, simply skip the ground chicken and add 2 cups of diced zucchini, diced mushrooms, or mixed diced peppers instead. Replace chicken broth with vegetarian broth or just add water and adjust the salt accordingly.
Here are some of my other favorite Italian recipes using the Instant Pot:
Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper more for spicier soup
- 1 pound ground chicken **
- 1 28 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 8 ounce cans tomato sauce
- 3 cups chicken broth low sodium
- ¼ cup parsley chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 Indian bay leaf
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles about 10 noodles, broken into pieces
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach or 12 oz fresh spinach, chopped
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup parmesan grated, for topping
- ½ cup mozzarella shredded, for topping
- handful fresh basil chopped
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode and add oil, garlic, onions, and crushed pepper flakes. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add ground chicken and mix well breaking the chicken in the pot. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, parsley, oregano, and bay leaf. Add lasagna pieces and salt. Stir everything well.
- Close the Instant Pot with Pressure Valve to sealing. Select Pressure Cook(Hi) and adjust the time to 4 minutes. Quick release the pressure.
- Open the Instant Pot and stir in spinach and ricotta cheese. Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Serve hot with grated mozzarella, parmesan, and basil.
♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.
I'm looking forward to making this as I love lasagna soup! Lucky me has some leftover ricotta in the refrigerator from a lemon ricotta cake I just made. Some days are better than others...today is great! Thank you for sharing!
Lemon ricotta cake sounds delish! Let me know how you like the lasagna soup.
Sonal Gupta says
Absolutely loved it
Thank you Sonal
Looking forward to trying this as a weeknight family meal for five (one of which is a fifteen year old, bottomless pit of a boy). Do you think it can easily be doubled? I’m still new to IP and wondered if I’d need to adjust times. Thank you!
Hi Tamara, yes this can be doubled. Double all the ingredients and same pressure cook time.
Jill | sugarspicelifeblog says
This looks delicious and a great way to have the flavors of a lasagna without the time and effort!! Perfect!
Thank you Jill
Megan @ Ginger Tastes and Travels says
I have been seeing so many instant pot recipes out there lately. I recently made Lasagna Soup on the stovetop but it would be interesting to try it a different way and compare. I love your photos! Absolutely gorgeous 🙂
Jack D. Slater says
How about using italian sausage and omitting the spinach?
Sounds like a good idea!
Hi - do you think the time would be the same using GF lasagna noodles?
Half the cooking time on the package minus 1 minute will work great for GF pasta
Petra Farmer says
I just made this for the first time. It was great.p
Thank you for your lovely feedback
Umme abdullah says
If we are using frozen spinach, at what stage would you recommend adding it to the pot?
I would still stir it in the end. May be the psinach will thaw a bit as the soup pressure cooks. Then you stir it in
Monique Fritzsche says
Excellent. I’ve already passed it along to friends. Didn’t have ground chicken but used cubed chicken. It was great. Thank you
Thank you so much!
I have no boil / bake lasagna noodles and planning to follow your recipe.
what is your suggestion on cooking time??
I am excited to give it a try.
With no boil lasagna noodles, follow the recipe as is but do not add the lasagna noodles before pressure cooking. After pressure cooking add them to the hot soup and cook on saute mode. They should be soft in 2 to 3 minutes. Then add spinach, cheese etc.
Came out really good.
I have been raving about your website to all my friends.
Hi! How should I adjust the time if I decide to use chicken breast/tenderloins instead of ground chicken? Thanks!
Or chicken thighs
Cut chicken tenderloins or things into small one inch pieces and then follow the same exact recipe.
Rinku Desai says
For vegetarian, how can you change the recipe? No chicken or chicken broth?
Simply skip the ground chicken and add 2 cups of diced zucchini, diced mushrooms or mixed diced peppers instead. Use vegetarian broth
Made the vegetarian version .My daughter joined me in preparing it.. Such a simple, yummy recipe.. enjoyed it thoroughly!! Must try ..
Yay! So fun to cook with kids. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
Made this last night and it was bomb. Like a fancier, more delicious Chef Boyardee lol. My grocery store didn’t have ground chicken so I went with beef, and I used an entire box of Campanella instead of lasagne noods. 5/5 will make again
Thank you Caitlin and also thank you for sharing your substitutes!