Corn Poblano Chowder is an earthy, peppery corn chowder cooked with summer's seasonal bounty of sweet corn, tomatoes, poblano peppers, spicy jalapeno, potatoes, and fresh parsley. A satisfying, gluten-free vegan recipe without any cream or cheese and is so effortless in the Instant Pot.
Inspired from Panera Bread's Summer corn chowder recipe, this is my dairy-free vegan version.
I love buying fresh bi-color sweet corn in the summer! Although frozen sweet corn will work well for this corn chowder, I still love scraping fresh corn kernels and taking out every bit of goodness from the cob. I have used both regular peppers and poblano peppers in this recipe. I have to say that the complex sweetness and subtle heat from poblano peppers make this chowder exceptional!
After taking out the top layer of the corn kernels, I scrape the cobs again to get any remaining kernels and juices. Then, puree the additional scraped corn and juices with water to give this soup a hearty texture.
The corn starch or arrowroot powder mixed in water also adds creaminess to this delicious gluten-free and vegan dish. Serve with a side arugula salad or kale salad or a quick sandwich to make a delicious meal that the whole family will enjoy!
Looking for more recipes with poblano peppers? Try the Chicken Poblano Chilli with easy Instant Pot recipe.
Here is a video on this easy Corn Poblano Chowder Instant Pot recipe:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Corn Poblano Chowder - Instant Pot
- 5 ears of fresh corn husked
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 large russet potato peeled and diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes 10 oz or 2 fresh red tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour or corn starch
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- With a knife cut kernels from the corn. Keep aside.
- Scrape the cobs again to get any remaining kernels and juices. Puree these with 1 cup of water and keep aside.
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute mode and heat oil. Add poblano, onion and jalapeno. Mix well. Cook covered with glass lid for 4 to 5 minutes until the onions turn translucent.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes, pureed corn, corn kernels, salt, and allspice. Add 1 cup of water. Mix well.
- Close Instant Pot with the pressure valve to sealing. Pressure Cook for 5 minutes. Quick release or Natural release the pressure.
- Using a stick blender, blend the soup for a few seconds. This step is optional.
- Mix arrowroot powder or corn starch in water to make slurry. Stir it in the soup and turn Instant Pot to Saute mode. Bring the chowder to a gentle boil. Garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy hot with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper for additional heat.
- Note: You can also use celery, green or red peppers in this recipe.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking
♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes?