Corn Poblano Chowder – An earthy, peppery corn chowder cooked with summer’s seasonal bounty of sweet corn, tomatoes, poblano peppers, spicy jalapeno, potatoes and fresh parsley. A satisfying, gluten-free vegan recipe without any cream or cheese and is so effortless in the Instant Pot.
Inspired from Panera Bread’s Summer corn chowder recipe, this is my dairy-free version.
I love buying fresh bi-color sweet corn in the summer! Although frozen sweet corn will work well for this corn chowder, I still love scraping fresh corn kernels and taking out every bit of goodness from the cob. I have used both regular peppers and poblano peppers in this recipe. I have to say that the complex sweetness and subtle heat from poblano peppers make this chowder exceptional!
After taking out the top layer of the corn kernels, I scrape the cobs again to get any remaining kernels and juices. Then, puree the additional scraped corn and juices with water to give this soup a hearty texture.
The corn starch or arrowroot powder mixed in water also adds creaminess in this delicious gluten free and vegan dish. Serve with a side salad or bread to make a delicious meal that the whole family will enjoy!
Here is a video on this easy Corn Poblano Chowder Instant Pot recipe:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
- 5 ears of fresh corn husked
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 large russet potato peeled and diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes 10 oz or 2 fresh red tomatoes, diced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 2 tbsp arrowroot flour or corn flour mixed in 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- With a knife cut kernels from the corn. Keep aside.
- Scrape the cobs again to get any remaining kernels and juices. Puree these with 1 cup of water and keep aside.
Turn Instant Pot to Saute mode and heat oil. Add poblano, onion and jalapeno. Mix well. Cook covered with glass lid for 4-5 mins until the onions turn translucent.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes, pureed corn, corn kernels, salt, and allspice. Add 1 cup of water. Mix well.
- Close Instant Pot with the pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Manual(Hi) for 5 mins. Quick release or Natural release the pressure.
- Using a stick blender, blend the soup for a few seconds. This step is optional.
Mix arrowroot powder or corn starch slurry in the soup and turn Instant Pot to Saute mode. Bring the chowder to a gentle boil. Garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy hot with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper for additional heat.
- Note: You can also use celery, green or red peppers in this recipe.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Chec
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.