Corn Poblano Chowder – An earthy, peppery corn chowder cooked with summer’s seasonal bounty of sweet corn, tomatoes, poblano peppers, spicy jalapeno, potatoes and fresh parsley. A satisfying, gluten-free vegan recipe without any cream or cheese and is so effortless in the Instant Pot.
This recipe is inspired from Panera Bread’s Summer corn chowder recipe. Except it is even better with no dairy! I puree the scraped corn with some water to give the soup a hearty texture and add arrowroot slurry for creaminess making this a perfect gluten free vegan dish.
I love buying fresh bi-color sweet corn in the summer! Although frozen sweet corn will work well for this corn chowder, I still love scraping fresh corn kernels and taking out every bit of goodness from the cob. I have used both regular peppers and poblano peppers in this recipe. I have to say that the complex sweetness and subtle heat from poblano peppers make this chowder exceptional!
Here is a video on this easy Corn Poblano Chowder Instant Pot recipe:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
- 5 ears of fresh corn husked
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 large russet potato peeled and diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes 10 oz or 2 fresh red tomatoes, diced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 2 tbsp arrowroot flour or corn flour mixed in 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- With a knife cut kernels from the corn. Keep aside.
- Scrape the cobs again to get any remaining kernels and juices. Puree these with 1 cup of water and keep aside.
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute(more) mode. Once the 'hot' sign displays, add oil. Add poblano's, onions and jalapeno. Mix well. Cook covered with glass lid for 4-5 mins until the onions turn translucent.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes, pureed corn, corn kernels, salt, and allspice. Add 1 cup of water. Mix well.
- Close Instant Pot with the pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Manual(Hi) for 5 mins. Quick release or Natural release the pressure.
- Using a stick blender, blend the soup for a few seconds. This step is optional.
- Mix arrowroot powder slurry in the soup and turn Instant Pot to Saute mode. Bring the chowder to a gentle boil. Garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy hot with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper for additional heat.
- Note: You can also use celery, green or red peppers in this recipe.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Chec
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.