Corn Poblano Chowder is an earthy, peppery corn chowder cooked with summer's seasonal bounty of sweet corn, tomatoes, poblano peppers, spicy jalapeno, potatoes, and fresh parsley. A satisfying, gluten-free vegan recipe without any cream or cheese and is so effortless in the Instant Pot.
Inspired from Panera Bread's Summer corn chowder recipe, this is my dairy-free vegan version.
I love buying fresh bi-color sweet corn in the summer! Although frozen sweet corn will work well for this corn chowder, I still love scraping fresh corn kernels and taking out every bit of goodness from the cob. I have used both regular peppers and poblano peppers in this recipe. I have to say that the complex sweetness and subtle heat from poblano peppers make this chowder exceptional!
After taking out the top layer of the corn kernels, I scrape the cobs again to get any remaining kernels and juices. Then, puree the additional scraped corn and juices with water to give this soup a hearty texture.
The corn starch or arrowroot powder mixed in water also adds creaminess to this delicious gluten-free and vegan dish. Serve with a side arugula salad or kale salad or a quick sandwich to make a delicious meal that the whole family will enjoy!
Looking for more recipes with poblano peppers? Try the Chicken Poblano Chilli with easy Instant Pot recipe.
Here is a video on this easy Corn Poblano Chowder Instant Pot recipe:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Corn Poblano Chowder - Instant Pot
- 5 ears of fresh corn husked
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 poblano pepper diced
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 large russet potato peeled and diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes 10 oz or 2 fresh red tomatoes, diced
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour or corn starch
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- With a knife cut kernels from the corn. Keep aside.
- Scrape the cobs again to get any remaining kernels and juices. Puree these with 1 cup of water and keep aside.
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute mode and heat oil. Add poblano, onion and jalapeno. Mix well. Cook covered with glass lid for 4 to 5 minutes until the onions turn translucent.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes, pureed corn, corn kernels, salt, and allspice. Add 1 cup of water. Mix well.
- Close Instant Pot with the pressure valve to sealing. Pressure Cook for 5 minutes. Quick release or Natural release the pressure.
- Using a stick blender, blend the soup for a few seconds. This step is optional.
- Mix arrowroot powder or corn starch in water to make slurry. Stir it in the soup and turn Instant Pot to Saute mode. Bring the chowder to a gentle boil. Garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy hot with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper for additional heat.
- Note: You can also use celery, green or red peppers in this recipe.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking
♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes?
how many cups of frozen corn should we use if we don't want to do the fresh corn?
5 to 6 cups of frozen corn
Susie Scheidecker says
Loved the video would love more recipes, thank you.
Erica Khan says
Easy and delicious but my corn was sweet and was offsetting to the dish. Is there a non sweet corn variety? Other than that the texture and taste was wonderful got my poblanos straight from the Mexican farmer. I’m going to move over to the other version without the corn.
You can try the white corn.
Thomas Bowker says
I roasted the poblano, and added a second. i also threw in a couple roasted cubanelles. it came out nice, especially with a dash of sriracha in my bowl.
YUM! Love sriracha.
Your recipe says to add 1 cup of water with the corn flour. Didn’t that too much water ?
Its not too much water but you can always add less and then add more to get to the consistency you like. Enjoy!