Tender, flaky salmon coated in warm tandoori spice blend is our go-to recipe on busy weeknights as well as for weekend gatherings with friends and family.
Instant Pot Tandoori Salmon
Once marinated in the mouth-watering tandoori spice blend, you can cook the salmon by broiling or baking in the oven, cooking on an outdoor grill in the summers, or for a more fool-proof option try this Instant Pot Tandoori Salmon recipe.
Why we love this Instant Pot Tandoori Salmon Recipe?
- Perfectly cooked, tender, flaky salmon every time
- Same pressure cook time regardless of the quantity
- All the flavors are locked in as the marinade stays coated on the salmon fillets
- No smelly kitchen
Here are my 5-tips on buying the best Salmon:
- Fresh fish, including salmon, should not have the bad "fishy" smell
- Salmon should look bright & shiny, not dull
- Choose wild salmon over farmed if you can afford and have an option
- Buy farmed US Atlantic Salmon when the wild salmon is not available
- Consider buying frozen salmon from a store or fishmonger you trust.
EASY step by step recipe for Instant Pot Tandoori Salmon:
Wash and pat dry salmon with a paper towel and cut into 5 to 6 pieces. In a medium bowl mix ginger, garlic, garam masala, red chili powder, turmeric, lemon juice, oil, and salt. Spread the marinade evenly on the salmon and line the salmon pieces in a steamer basket.
Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot insert.
Place the steamer basket inside the Instant Pot.
Close the Instant Pot lid with pressure release to sealing. Select the Pressure Cook/Manual Setting and adjust the cooking time to 3 mins high pressure. Quick release and open the Instant Pot.
Enjoy hot with a squeeze of fresh lemon and thinly sliced red onions.
We love pair Tandoori salmon with Kale Salad with Almonds or Saffron Risotto!
Love Salmon? Here are our other favorite recipes:
Instant Pot Tandoori Salmon
- 1½ pounds salmon boneless fillets, about 1 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 1 tablespoon garlic pressed
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ to 1 tablespoon red chili powder Kashmiri or any mild variety
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Wash and pat dry salmon with a paper towel and cut into 5 to 6 pieces.
- In a medium bowl mix ginger, garlic, garam masala, red chili powder, turmeric, lemon juice, oil, and salt. Spread the marinade evenly on the salmon. Arrange the salmon pieces on the steamer basket with the skin side down.
- Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot insert. Place the steamer basket inside the Instant Pot.
- Close the Instant Pot lid with pressure release to sealing. Select the Pressure Cook/Manual Setting and adjust the cooking time to 3 mins high pressure. Quick release and open the Instant Pot. Enjoy hot with a squeeze of fresh lemon and thinly sliced red onions.
- Always quick release when cooking fish in the Instant Pot to avoid overcooking.
- This recipe makes well-done salmon, if you like it medium-rare or medium, pressure cook it for just 1 to 2 minutes.
♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.
Jayeeta Basu says
Salmon is one of my favourite fishes. It is best served in baked version. I liked the spices you used in this recipe. 🙂
Safia N says
I tried this yesterday and voila! so easy quick and yummy! salmon had that melt in the mouth texture! Mine was not completely thawed by the time I had to make it, so I added two more minutes to pressure cooking.
Thank you for the feedback! And yes good idea to add extra 2 mins for frozen fish
I tried this for dinner today and it turned out perfect! I used frozen salmon as well and added 2 minutes as suggested in the previous comment. I wonder if I can make the outer layer (especially the marinade) a bit crunchy by broiling it in the oven for a few minutes, or will it dry out the fish?
This one is definitely going to be a favorite weeknight dinner. Thank you!
Yes you can def broil for a few mins!
I do not have a steamer basket. Is it necessary for this recipe or can I just put the salmon skin side down in the instant pot directly?
You cannot keep it directly in the pot but you can use the trivet that came with the Instant Pot to place the Salmon
Hi! If I am using the trivet, do I still add water under it?
yes! water is needed for the Instant Pot to build pressure.
Umme abdullah says
The salmon cooked really well and it was super easy! And the best part of cooking it in the IP is that it doesn’t leave behind any strong odour in the kitchen
I am so glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for the feedback
I just made this for dinner and absolutely LOVED it!! It's definitely my new favorite way to make salmon. YUM!!!!
Thank you so much Terri
Do you have recommendation for instant pot use without steaming basket? I don't have one yet
You can place it on the trivet that came with the Instant Pot
Hi Archana, I'm so excited to try this recipe. If I wanted to bake it, what temperature and how long do you suggest?
I usually broil on 425 for 10 minutes. You can bake at 370 for 15 to 20 mins
Tim Kell says
Can you use red tandoori seasoning ? How would you adjust the recipe ?
Yes you can! Usually 1 to 2 tablespoons per pound of salmon and most tandoori spices also have ginger, garlic and salt too. I would simple add some oil and lemon juice and follow the cooking directions.
I made it last night for my husband (I am vegetarian) he said it was delicious!! Also , we broiled it after taking it out just to intensify the color and flavor.
Thanks for the recipe. Very easy and quick
Mrs P says
Authentic & so well cooked within 3m!!.
Thank you for this & all your recipes, you're a star!!
bf can't stop raving about it, delicious and not hard to make1 i don't have the pepper spice so i just use a few drops of a local hot sauce that we have. i also never use disposables in cooking -- find it unnecessary to pat dry, or use parchment paper. we put onion slabs under the salmon to keep the fish moist and add a bit to the dish. love that this doesn't have sugar - too many salmon recipes have some form of sugar. this recipe works great with steelhead trout also.
oh no i just realized my above review is somehow for the instapot recipe - i didn't make the instapot recipe, i made mihistryofcurry's version that is done with using the broiler