This lemon cauliflower rice is a low-carb version of the traditional South Indian lemon rice recipe. There are only 12g net carbs in the entire dish (and it makes 2 servings). If you want to cut the carbs, even more, you can leave out the cashews. This is a vegan and gluten-free recipe.
Lemon cauliflower rice is a reimagining of a favorite recipe. Not only is this dish bright and colorful, but it has a fresh, citrusy flavor to it as well that is complimented by the tempered mustard seeds. This is a fantastic make-ahead dish. You can pair it with any Indian curry.
I have shared the traditional lemon rice recipe in my The Essential Indian Instant Pot Cookbook. It's a traditional South Indian recipe that uses a little bit of urad dal in the tempering. In order to keep the carb count low, I left that out in this recipe. If you aren't following a keto or low-carb diet, you can add 2 teaspoons of urad dal along with cashews and curry leaves.
This recipe still tastes just like the South Indian lemon rice that I love. Even though cashews are higher in carbs, I kept them because they add the nuttiness that this dish is known for. Feel free to skip them if you are allergic to nuts or want to keep the carb count lower.
These are the ingredients you will need on hand before you start cooking:
How to Make Lemon Cauliflower Rice
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add mustard seeds and allow them to splutter. Turn the heat to low and add hing, curry leaves, and cashews and cook for another minute mixing well.
- Add turmeric, riced cauliflower, and salt. Mix well.
- Cook on medium-low heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until the cauliflower is cooked tender, stirring frequently.
- Turn off the heat while the cauliflower still has a bite to it so it does not turn mushy. Add fresh lemon juice, mix well and enjoy hot.
Looking for a simple and nutritious main dish to serve with this cauliflower rice? We love to pair it with this easy tandoori salmon recipe.
This is an excellent recipe to make when you are trying to either cut down the carbs or you want a side dish that is vegan and gluten-free. Spicy Indian food always leaves you craving something sweet. Here are some of my go-to desserts:
- Keep the heat at medium-high. Once the mustard seeds start popping lower the heat this will prevent the oil from splattering especially when you add curry leaves.
- Fry cashews at low heat. This will help them cook without burning.
- Cook the cauliflower rice at medium-low heat. The cauliflower rice needs a bit more heat to really crisp up.
- Do not overcook the cauliflower. You only need to stir-fry the cauliflower rice for about 5 minutes. If you fry it for too long, it might become mushy.
More Cauliflower Recipes
- Turmeric Roasted Cauliflower Tacos
- Cauliflower Rice Chicken Biryani
- Whole Roasted Tandoori Cauliflower With Raita
- Gobi Manchurian
- Instant Pot Vegetable Kurma
- Cauliflower Rice with Cumin
This is a low-carb twist on a very popular recipe that I included in my cookbook, The Essential Indian Instant Pot Cookbook. I hope you will enjoy 75+ modern recipes with authentic Indian flavors in my best-selling book.
The best way to store this recipe after you cook it is in the refrigerator in a sealed container. It will stay fresh for up to 4 days.
Yes, you can freeze this recipe too. Let it cool completely, and then place it in a plastic freezer bag and lay it flat in the freezer. It will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 6 months. When you are ready to enjoy it again, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat it in the skillet over medium-low heat.
You can use any type of oil that you like. My favorites are ghee or avocado oil.
Yes, you can use frozen cauliflower rice. Just remember to thaw it before using it in this recipe.
Lemon Cauliflower rice with mustard seeds
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet on medium high heat. Add mustard seeds and allow them to splutter
- Turn the heat to low and add hing, curry leaves, and cashews and cook for another minute mixing well
- Add turmeric, cauliflower, and salt. Mix well. Cook on medium low heat for 3 to 5 mins or until the cauliflower is cooked tender, stirring frequently. Turn off the heat while the cauliflower still has a bite to it so it does not turn mushy. Add lemon juice and mix well.
- I have skipped urad dal in this recipe. If you like add 2 teaspoons along with the cashews and curry leaves.
- You can also skip the cashews to keep the carb count low