Lemon ginger tea is soothing infusion of fresh ginger and lemon, lightly sweetened with honey. This healthy detox tea without tea leaves makes a perfect caffeine free drink for children as well as grownups.
Back in 2010, while our visit to the beautiful city of Srinagar in Kashmir, I first tasted this delicious tea. Perched on Kral Sangri hill that captures finest panoramic view of the Dal Lake, surrounded by majesty of Zabarwan Mountains, our stay at Taj Vivanta was memorable. Their elaborate tea lounge offered lemon ginger tea along with an array of other teas and the herbal Kashmiri Kahwah.
Although I enjoyed kahwa, I truly fell in love with the taste of their hot ginger tea. Since then I tried various brands of lemon ginger tea. But none of them matched the natural taste I was looking for.
Couple of years later, when I visited Kerala, I bought some rolled tea leaves. I steeped them with fresh ginger and lemon. The tea turned out pretty good, but it had a slight bitter taste of the tea leaves.
Although, not the taste I was looking for, it helped me to my eventual and now perfect recipe. The tea, that does not really need any tea leaves. Simply some grated (or sliced) organic ginger boiled in hot water, fresh lemon juice and optional honey.
Benefits of Lemon Ginger Tea:
- Good home remedy for cough, cold or sore throat
- Boosts immunity
- Improves digestion
- Reduces inflammation
- Stress reliever
Here is how to make hot lemon ginger tea in 5 minutes:
- Grate fresh ginger
- Boil 2 cups of water and add grated ginger
- Add lemon juice
- Strain, add honey (optional) and enjoy hot!
My winter ritual is to have a nice hot cup of traditional ginger chai in the mornings and this soothing lemon ginger tea in the afternoon.
Tips to make the best tea:
- Make sure to strain the tea using a small tea strainer
- Honey can be substituted with maple syrup, brown sugar or any sweetener you like
- Feel free to skip the honey or sweetener altogether as the tea by itself has a nice taste and zing
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Lemon ginger tea
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated or 1 inch ginger sliced for a mild flavor
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2-4 teaspoons honey depending on the preferred sweetness
- Boil 2 cups of water. Add grated ginger and boil for 2 mins. Turn the heat off
- Add lemon juice and stir.
- Strain into cups, add honey and enjoy hot.