Lemon ginger tea is a soothing infusion of fresh ginger and lemon, lightly sweetened with honey. This healthy detox tea without tea leaves makes a perfect caffeine-free drink for children as well as grownups.
Back in 2010, while our visit to the beautiful city of Srinagar in Kashmir, I first tasted this delicious tea. Perched on Kral Sangri hill which captures the finest panoramic view of the Dal Lake, surrounded by the majesty of the Zabarwan Mountains, our stay at Taj Vivanta was memorable. Their elaborate tea lounge offered lemon ginger tea along with an array of other teas and the herbal Kashmiri Kahwah.
Although I enjoyed Kahwa, I truly fell in love with the taste of their hot ginger tea. Since then I tried various brands of lemon ginger tea. But none of them matched the natural taste I was looking for.
A couple of years later, when I visited Kerala, I bought some rolled tea leaves. I steeped them with fresh ginger and lemon. The tea turned out pretty good, but it had a slightly bitter taste of the tea leaves.
Although not the taste I was looking for, it helped me to my eventual and now perfect recipe. The tea does not really need any tea leaves. Simply some grated (or sliced) organic ginger boiled in hot water, fresh lemon juice, and optional honey.
Benefits of Ginger Tea
- Good home remedy for cough, cold or sore throat
- Boosts immunity
- Improves digestion
- Reduces inflammation
- Stress reliever
How to Make 5-Min Lemon Ginger Tea
- Grate fresh ginger
- Boil 2 cups of water and add grated ginger
- Add lemon juice
- Strain, add honey (optional), and enjoy hot!
My winter ritual is to have a nice hot cup of traditional ginger chai in the mornings and this soothing lemon ginger tea in the afternoon.
- Make sure to strain the tea using a small tea strainer
- Honey can be substituted with maple syrup, brown sugar, or any sweetener you like
- Feel free to skip the honey or sweetener altogether as the tea by itself has a nice taste and zing
More Immune-Boosting Homemade Drinks Recipes
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Lemon ginger tea
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated or 1 inch ginger sliced for a mild flavor
- 2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey add to preferred sweetness
- In a small saucepan, add water and bring to a boil.
- Add grated ginger and bring it to a rolling boil. Turn the heat off.
- Stir in lemon juice.
- Strain into cups, add honey and enjoy hot.