Sprouted Lentils Breakfast Bowl is a perfect make-ahead, meatless breakfast with protein-rich sprouted brown lentils, lightly spiced with freshly grated ginger, turmeric, mild red Kashmiri chili powder, and cumin.
Years ago, growing up in a small town in India, I remember enjoying an array of dishes cooked with lentils and pulses, in my mom's bustling kitchen. Daal, Dosa, Khichdi, Curry were on repeat list for our meals and many mornings started with a bowl of warm sprouted lentils with nutty textures and bright flavors.
I am thankful that my boys are growing up with a love for many more cuisines and yet enjoy the same authentic ingredients and spices that I grew up eating. Last week my Mom made us sprouted lentils for breakfast and she was so contented to see the boys polish off their bowls.
These robust breakfast bowls can be topped with your choice of veggies, eggs, served over a toast, or enjoyed just some fresh lime squeezed over to enhance the flavors!
Needless to say, she was once again impressed to see how perfectly the lentils were cooked in the Instant Pot without having to stand by the stove on a hot humid morning. She repeatedly told me that they should not be mush, and should have a bite to it, Well, that is exactly what we got with the 1 min of pressurized cook time and then letting it sit until we were ready to eat.
So here a super delicious breakfast with an easy sprouted lentils breakfast recipe to fuel you up and get ready for the day:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Sprouted Lentils Breakfast Bowl - Instant Pot
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon mild red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole brown lentils sprouted
- Optional Toppings:
- 1 plum tomato diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh coconut grated
- egg cooked sunny side up
- salt & pepper to taste
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute(More) mode. Once the 'hot' sign displays, add oil. Add onions and cook for a minute. Cook covered with a glass lid on for another minute or until the onions become translucent stirring frequently.
- Add turmeric, ginger, red chili powder, salt and cumin powder. Mix well and add sprouted lentils. Add ⅓ cup of water and mix well.
- Close Instant Pot with the pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Manual(Hi) for 1 min followed by Natural Pressure Release.
- Open Instant Pot, Garnish with tomatoes and cilantro. Add additional toppings - fresh grated coconut or eggs. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy hot or cold.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥