Here is my favorite Breakfast Lentils Bowl with protein-rich sprouted brown lentils. They are lightly spiced with fresh ginger, turmeric, red Kashmiri chili powder, cumin and ready in just 20 minutes. A make-ahead and versatile recipe that can be enjoyed in a few different ways.
Growing up in India, I remember enjoying many dishes cooked with lentils and pulses, in my mom's bustling kitchen. Daal, Dosa, Khichdi, and Curry were on repeat for our main meals. While mornings started with a bowl of warm sprouted lentils with nutty textures and bright flavors.
Ingredients for Breakfast Lentils
- Brown Lentils
- Onion & ginger
- Spices - turmeric, red chili, and cumin
How to serve
- Top with finely diced onion, tomatoes, and a squeeze of fresh lime
- Add fried or hard-boiled egg
- Served over toast
Breakfast Lentils in Instant Pot
Mom's lentils always have a bite to them and never mush. It is easy to achieve that perfect consistency using Instant Pot. Simply pressure cook for 1-minute followed by natural pressure release.
So here is a super delicious sprouted lentils breakfast recipe to fuel you up and get ready for the day:
More Indian Breakfast Recipes
Did you enjoy this healthy Indian breakfast? Here are some more of my favorite savory recipes that are perfect for breakfast or lunch!
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Sprouted Lentils Breakfast Bowl - Instant Pot
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon mild red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole brown lentils sprouted
- Optional Toppings:
- 1 plum tomato diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh coconut grated
- egg cooked sunny side up
- salt & pepper to taste
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute(More) mode. Once the 'hot' sign displays, add oil. Add onions and cook for a minute. Cook covered with a glass lid on for another minute or until the onions become translucent stirring frequently.
- Add turmeric, ginger, red chili powder, salt and cumin powder. Mix well and add sprouted lentils. Add ⅓ cup of water and mix well.
- Close Instant Pot with the pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Manual(Hi) for 1 min followed by Natural Pressure Release.
- Open Instant Pot, Garnish with tomatoes and cilantro. Add additional toppings - fresh grated coconut or eggs. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy hot or cold.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with the hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.
The best way to start your day is with a delicious breakfast like this!
Yes! And a hot cup of chai 🙂
Blogtastic Food says
best breakfast ever (:
how do you sprout lentils? can I use a bag of "sprouted bean trio" that includes lentils, aduki and mung beans in it? Do I have to also soak it, or just use as is? Thanks for your help, I want to try this recipe!!!
Hi Jane, Here are details on how to sprout beans - http://ministryofcurry.com/how-to-sprout-beans/ I have not used the sprouted bean trio but from the search I did they look like dried beans. You can soak them overnight and then use them in this recipe. Depending on what beans are in there it may take a minute or 2 longer to cook. Let me know if you have any other questions.
I love sprouted beans and this looks like a yummy breakfast, Archana!
Thank you Sandhya!' I hope you are enjoying your instant pot cooking?
My lentils were not cooked enough following these directions. It also seemed like it needed more water.
Were the lentils soaked & sprouted?
How do I adapt this with un sprouted lentils? I will be traveling before making this and do not have time to sprout.
If you have time to soak, you can soak for 2 to 3 hours and then pressure cook for 5 minutes. For unsoaked pressure cook for 10 minutes.
I have just discovered sprouted beans and lentils and cannot wait to try your recipes. I do not however have an instant pot. What is the old fashioned stove top method that would achieve the same result?
Cook covered on medium heat for 10 minutes. You will have perfectly cooked sprouted lentils.