Here is my favorite Breakfast Lentils Bowl with protein-rich sprouted brown lentils. They are lightly spiced with fresh ginger, turmeric, red Kashmiri chili powder, cumin and ready in just 20 minutes. A make-ahead and versatile recipe that can be enjoyed in a few different ways.
Growing up in India, I remember enjoying many dishes cooked with lentils and pulses, in my mom's bustling kitchen. Daal, Dosa, Khichdi, and Curry were on repeat for our main meals. While mornings started with a bowl of warm sprouted lentils with nutty textures and bright flavors.
Ingredients for Breakfast Lentils
- Brown Lentils
- Onion & ginger
- Spices - turmeric, red chili, and cumin
How to serve
- Top with finely diced onion, tomatoes, and a squeeze of fresh lime
- Add fried or hard-boiled egg
- Served over toast
Breakfast Lentils in Instant Pot
Mom's lentils always have a bite to them and never mush. It is easy to achieve that perfect consistency using Instant Pot. Simply pressure cook for 1-minute followed by natural pressure release.
So here is a super delicious sprouted lentils breakfast recipe to fuel you up and get ready for the day:
More Indian Breakfast Recipes
Did you enjoy this healthy Indian breakfast? Here are some more of my favorite savory recipes that are perfect for breakfast or lunch!
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Sprouted Lentils Breakfast Bowl - Instant Pot
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon mild red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole brown lentils sprouted
- Optional Toppings:
- 1 plum tomato diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh coconut grated
- egg cooked sunny side up
- salt & pepper to taste
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute(More) mode. Once the 'hot' sign displays, add oil. Add onions and cook for a minute. Cook covered with a glass lid on for another minute or until the onions become translucent stirring frequently.
- Add turmeric, ginger, red chili powder, salt and cumin powder. Mix well and add sprouted lentils. Add ⅓ cup of water and mix well.
- Close Instant Pot with the pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Manual(Hi) for 1 min followed by Natural Pressure Release.
- Open Instant Pot, Garnish with tomatoes and cilantro. Add additional toppings - fresh grated coconut or eggs. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy hot or cold.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with the hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥