Did you know that you can sprout beans at home? Sprouting beans takes about 2 to 3 days with a simple, hands free process.
Before we get started on the process, I would suggested you check out this guide on lentils and beans. It explains the different options you have for plant based proteins and also includes several recipes using them.
Here are my 3 favorite beans that I enjoy sprouted. Math(Turkish gram), Mung(green gram) and Masoor(red lentils)
How to sprout beans:
- Wash the beans thoroughly with cold water and soak them overnight (10-12) hours in warm water(2-3 times the volume of the beans)
- 2. Line a cheese cloth on a strainer and drain out all of the water.
- Wrap the beans individually in cheese cloth and store covered in a cool, dry place. I usually keep them in my oven and in winters keep the oven lights on for some warmth. Recently, I have also strated using the Instant Pot for faster sprouting. The Yogurt mode in the Instant Pot has the perfect temperature setting that helps faster sprouting.
- In the summers beans will sprout in 24-36 hours while in winters they may take up to 48 hours. Here is how the beautifully sprouted beans looks like:
- Once sprouted beans can be refrigerated for 2 weeks in air tight conatiners or zip lock bags. Use them for snacking, cooking or in salads.
Here are some of my favorite recipes using sprouted beans
All 3 sprouted beans can also be used to make the traditional curries that can be enjoyed with rice or parathas.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.