Aloo Gobhi is our go-to weeknight cauliflower curry with potatoes, onions, tomatoes and some of our favorite spices. Usually paired with spinach daal and rice or simply served with warm homemade parathas, it makes a nourishing weeknight meal.
I have started making aloo gobhi in my Instant Pot and I am amazed to see how perfectly tender the cauliflower and potatoes cook in a short time.
The recipe uses basic spices – cumin seeds, turmeric, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and homemade garam masala. The red chili powder I use is called ‘Kashmiri red chili powder’. It is a very mild chili powder that gives a beautiful red-orange hue to the curries. If you are using a different chili powder or paprika, you may want to adjust the quantities. Chili powder can also be added in the end and adjusted to taste.
I love adding onions and tomatoes to this recipe as it makes the curry moist and tangy without overpowering the flavors. This is a simple stove top recipe that is adapted for Instant Pot.
Tips for making Aloo Gobhi in Instant Pot:
- Cut cauliflower into big 2 to 3 inch florets along with the stems.
- Cut potatoes into thin wedges so they cook well along with the cauliflower.
- Reduce the cook time to 1 or 2 minutes if you like a bite to the cauliflower OR cook at low pressure.
- Press Cancel after the pressure cooking cycle is completed and immediately quick release the pressure to stop further cooking.
- Open the lid and take out the inner insert and put it on a trivet to stop further cooking.
The quick release is important step in this recipe to avoid overcooking the cauliflower. Here is the video on this delicious Aloo Gobhi in Instant Pot:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes diced
- 4 cups cauliflower florets cut into big 2 inch pieces
- 1 medium potato peeled and cut into thin wedges, I use russet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon mild Kashmiri red chili powder Less if using a spicier chili powder
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon garam masala Add 1/2 for a medium spicy curry
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- cilantro for garnish
Turn the Instant Pot to Sauté mode and heat oil. Add cumin seeds. Sauté for 30 seconds.
Add onions and mix well. Cook covered with a glass lid on for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, mix and cook covered for another minute.
Add turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala and salt. Add potatoes and cauliflower florets. Add 1 tablespoon of water. Mix well.
Put the Instant Pot lid on with pressure valve to sealing. Select Pressure Cook / Manual (Hi) for 3 minutes. Note: Cook for only 2 mins if you like cauliflower to be more firm.
Press Cancel to turn the Instant Pot off. Quick Release and stir gently. Garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with naan, paratha or toasted pita bread.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.