Spicy Tandoori Chicken served on crispy lettuce and drizzled with cooling cucumber raita and crunchy red onions makes a delightful and healthy option for holiday entertaining.
Why we love cooking chicken in the Instant Pot:
- Tender and juicy chicken packed with all the flavors from the marinade that stays on the chicken.
- Consistent cook times as compared to the grill or stovetop cooking.
- Easy cleanup.
With upcoming summer holidays, here is a dish that can be made ahead that results in succulent and tasty chicken. No need to watch it on the grill or worry about it overcooking or have the fear of undercooking.
Tips to make Tandoori Chicken Lettuce Wraps:
- Pat dry chicken with paper towel before marinating
- Using plain, full fat yogurt for marinating
- Marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours, if using chicken breasts
- Marinate the chicken for at least 20 minutes , if using chicken thighs
- For authentic taste, use fresh garam masala
- Use Kashmiri red chili powder for the bright orange hue without adding extra heat
- Use fresh ginger and garlic
- Use Boston lettuce or ice berg lettuce to assemble the wraps
- Use greek yogurt or plain yogurt for the raita
- In addition to red onions, add your favorite crunchy toppings while serving
Easy step by step recipe for tandoori chicken lettuce wraps:
- Marinate the chicken for at least for 20 minutes. If using chicken breasts, I would recommend that you marinate it for 2 hours or overnight. Make 3 to 4 small horizontal slits to each chicken piece. This will allow the marinade to reach inside of the chicken. Then apply salt and lemon juice to the chicken. Whisk the yogurt and add all the spices, ginger and garlic mixing well in a small bowl. Spread the marinade evenly on both sides of the chicken.
- Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot insert. Put the trivet in the pot and place the marinated chicken on the trivet. With a small spoon or brush, apply oil on top of the chicken. It is ok to layer chicken if doubling the recipe.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and Pressure cook for 8 minutes followed by 10 minute natural pressure release. While the chicken is cooking, rinse and dry the lettuce. Carefully cut the bottom stem and peel 10 to 12 outer leaf layers of the lettuce. Set aside.
Prepare the raita by mixing peeled and grated cucumbers in whisked greek yogurt. Stir in salt and cumin powder. Garnish with cilantro.
- Open the Instant Pot and carefully take out the cooked chicken. Cut into bite sized pieces.
5. To assemble the wraps, place 3-4 pieces of chicken over the lettuce, drizzle cucumber raita, and top with thinly sliced red onions.
Do you enjoy the warm tandoori flavors? Here are some of our favorite recipes:
★ Have you tried this Tandoori Chicken Lettuce Wraps recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Spicy Tandoori Chicken served on crispy lettuce cups, drizzled with cooking cucumber raita and crunchy red onions makes a delicious and healthy option for holiday entertaining.
- 1.5 pound Chicken breasts or Thighs skinless and boneless
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons ginger grated
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon oil for basting
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 - 3 Persian cucumbers
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cilantro finely chopped
- 1 head boston lettuce or iceberg lettuce
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
Pat dry the chicken with paper towel. Make 3 to 4 small horizontal slits to each chicken piece. Apply salt and lemon juice to the chicken. Mix yogurt, red chili powder, garam masala, turmeric, ginger and garlic. Apply evenly to the chicken and allow to marinate for 20 minutes or refrigerate if marinating ahead of time.
- Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot insert. Place the trivet in the Instant Pot. Carefully place the marinated chicken over the trivet. Baste the chicken with oil.
- Close the Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Pressure Cook for 8 minutes followed by 10 minute natural pressure release.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the Raita - Whisk the yogurt in a medium bowl. Peel and grate the cucumber. Add grated cucumber to the yogurt. Sprinkle salt and cumin. Mix well. Garnish with cilantro, keep chilled in the refrigerator until ready to be served.
- Open the Instant Pot. Take the chicken and the trivet out. Optional Step - Broil Chicken in a preheated oven or grill for 5 minutes. Cut chicken into 1 inch pieces and keep aside.
- Carefully remove 10 to 12 whole lettuce leaves from the head of the lettuce. Take 1 lettuce leaf, place a 4 to 5 pieces of chicken in the centre of the leaf. Pour 1 to 2 tablespoon raita over the chicken and top with sliced onions.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.