Spicy Tandoori Chicken served on crispy lettuce and drizzled with cooling cucumber raita and crunchy red onions. In addition, this makes for a delightful and healthy holiday entertaining option.
Why we love cooking chicken in the Instant Pot:
- Tender and juicy chicken packed with all the flavors from the marinade that stays on the chicken.
- Consistent cook times as compared to the grill or stovetop cooking.
- Easy cleanup.
With upcoming summer holidays, here is a dish that can be made ahead that results in succulent and tasty chicken. No need to watch it on the grill or worry about it overcooking or have the fear of undercooking.
Pro Tips to make the best Tandoori Chicken Lettuce Wraps:
- Pat dry chicken with paper towel before marinating
- Using plain, full fat yogurt for marinating
- Marinate the chicken for at least 2 hours, if using chicken breasts
- Marinate the chicken for at least 20 minutes , if using chicken thighs
- For authentic taste, use fresh garam masala
- For the bright orange hue without adding extra heat use Kashmiri red chili powder
- Use fresh ginger and garlic
- Using Boston lettuce or ice berg lettuce to assemble the wraps
- Use greek yogurt or plain yogurt for the raita
- In addition, to red onions, add your favorite crunchy toppings while serving
Easy step by step recipe for Tandoori Chicken Lettuce Wraps:
- First, marinate the chicken for at least for 20 minutes. If, using chicken breasts, marinate it for 2 hours or overnight. Then, make 3 to 4 small horizontal slits to each chicken piece. This will allow the marinade to reach inside of the chicken. Then, apply salt and lemon juice to the chicken. Next, whisk the yogurt and add all the spices, ginger, and garlic mixing well in a small bowl. Now, spread the marinade evenly on both sides of the chicken (photos 1 – 4).
- Then, add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot insert. Now, place the trivet in the pot and place the marinated chicken on the trivet. Apply, oil on top of the chicken with a small spoon or brush. In addition, it is ok to layer chicken if doubling the recipe (photos 5 – 6).
- Now, close the Instant Pot lid and Pressure cook for 8 minutes followed by 10 minute natural pressure release. While, the chicken is cooking, rinse and dry the lettuce. Carefully, cut the bottom stem and peel 10 to 12 outer leaf layers of the lettuce. Then, set aside.
- Now, prepare the raita by mixing peeled and grated cucumbers in whisked greek yogurt. Next, stir in salt and cumin powder. Then, garnish with cilantro (photos 7 – 8).
- Open the Instant Pot and carefully take out the cooked chicken. Cut into bite sized pieces (photos 9 – 10).
- Lastly, assemble the wraps, place 3-4 pieces of chicken over the lettuce, drizzle cucumber raita, and top with thinly sliced red onions.
Do you enjoy the warm tandoori flavors? Some of our favorite recipes are:
★ Have you tried this Tandoori Chicken Lettuce Wraps recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Tandoori Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 to 3 Persian cucumbers
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cilantro finely chopped
- 1 head Boston lettuce or iceberg lettuce
- 1 medium red onion thinly sliced
- Pat dry the chicken with a paper towel. Make 3 to 4 small horizontal slits to each chicken piece. Apply salt and lemon juice to the chicken. Mix yogurt, red chili powder, garam masala, turmeric, ginger, and garlic. Apply evenly to the chicken and allow to marinate for 20 minutes or refrigerate if marinating ahead of time.
- Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot insert. Place the trivet in the Instant Pot. Carefully place the marinated chicken over the trivet. Baste the chicken with oil.
- Close the Instant Pot with the pressure valve to sealing. Pressure Cook for 8 minutes followed by 10-minute natural pressure release.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the Raita - Whisk the yogurt in a medium bowl. Peel and grate the cucumber. Add grated cucumber to the yogurt. Sprinkle salt and cumin. Mix well. Garnish with cilantro, keep chilled in the refrigerator until ready to be served.
- Open the Instant Pot. Take the chicken and the trivet out. Optional Step - Broil Chicken in a preheated oven or grill for 5 minutes. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces and keep aside.
- Carefully remove 10 to 12 whole lettuce leaves from the head of the lettuce. Take 1 lettuce leaf, place 4 to 5 pieces of chicken in the center of the leaf. Pour 1 to 2 tablespoon raita over the chicken and top with sliced onions.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live in New Jersey with my husband and two sons.