Green Tomato Chutney – A piquant mouth watering chutney made with summers best raw-tart tomatoes, spicy jalapeños and a hint of sweetness!
When I first discovered this recipe, I thought it was a genius idea to use up those excess tomatoes and make this healthy & delicious chutney packed with vitamin C!
I do not quiet think of chutneys until I get to spend some time with my mom. She has a treasure of chutney recipes and I am always surprised to see the ease with which she makes them. Just a little bit of chutney in your plate, and it takes the meal to a completely different level.
My friend Yuko, has been generously delivering me all kinds of vegetables from her organic veggie garden. When I mentioned to her about my mom’s green tomato chutney, she promptly dropped off some fresh green tomatoes.
This easy green tomato chutney needs few basic ingredients, with the jalapeños and brown sugar sublimely complimenting the sour tomatoes. With the magic of Instant Pot this recipe is a no-fail, dump and ready recipe!
My boys who are not much into chutneys thought this was a yummier version of salsa verde. They scooped up the chutney with chips!
Here are few ways to enjoy this green tomato chutney:
- Scoop with tortilla chips
- Spread on sandwiches and wraps
- Serve over grilled chicken or fish
- Serve with fresh parathas
This simple Green Tomato Chutney recipe that is sure to kick your taste buds. Thanks Yuko, here is the quick and delicous green tomato chutney cooked in Instant Pot:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon asafetida (optional)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1-2 jalapeños
- 4 medium green tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or jaggery
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté(more) mode. Once the hot sign displays, add oil. Add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle. Add asafetida, turmeric, jalapeños, green tomatoes and salt.
- Give a quick stir. Add brown sugar.
- Close Instant Pot with pressure valve set to sealing.
- Cook on Manual(Lo) for 5 minutes followed by quick release or natural pressure release.
- Open Instant Pot and set to sauté mode. Mash the tomatoes, cook for 2 minutes stirring frequently.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro. Mix well and enjoy!