A favorite amongst my boys, Black Eyed Peas Curry cooked in a smooth onion, tomatoes and coconut based sauce has earthy flavors from turmeric, cumin seeds and coriander seeds and is perfectly spiced with the mild Kashmiri red chili powder and aromatic garam masala.
Piping hot black eyed peas curry with rice and some warm chapati’s is a common scene in our home.
Throw in some onions, tomatoes, coconut, cumin seeds, ginger and garlic in a blender to make a smooth paste.
Once the spice paste is ready, this recipe is easy to cook in Instant Pot. With the Pot in Pot cooking, stick in the rice along with the beans and spices and you have the whole meal ready in no time!
I sauté the onion-tomato-coconut paste for few minutes and then add the remaining ingredients and then place the stainless steel bowl with rice on a tall trivet. Best Part of this recipe is you can do a natural pressure release and forget about it until you are ready to eat!
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Black Eyed Peas Curry and Rice - Instant Pot
- 1 cup dry black eyed peas 3 cups soaked
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3 tablespoon shredded coconut unsweetened
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 1 large ripe tomato quartered
- 1 inch ginger
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida optional
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon kashmiri red chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 teaspoon salt divided
- 1/2 tablespoon jaggery or brown sugar optional
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro for garnish
- 1 cup white rice
- Soak black eyed peas in 3 cups of water overnight or 6 hours. Drain all the water and keep aside.
- Rinse and drain the rice. Add 1.5 cups of water and 1 teaspoon of salt and keep aside.
- Blend cumin seeds, coconut, onion, tomato, ginger and garlic to make a smooth paste.
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute(more) mode and heat oil. Add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle. Add asafetida and turmeric. Add the onion and tomato paste and cook for a minute stirring frequently.
- Add red chili powder, cumin and coriander powder, garam masala and 2 teaspoon salt. Mix well. Put a glass lid on and cook for 3-4 mins.
- Open the glass lid and mix everything once more. Making sure no spices are stuck to the bottom of the pot.
- Add jaggery, black eyed peas and 2 cups of water. Give a quick stir.
- Put a tall trivet in the pot. Put the rice container on top of the trivet.
- Close IP lid with pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Manual(Hi) for 8 minutes.
- Open after Natural Pressure Release.
- Remove the rice container. Remove the trivet. Add more water if needed. Adjust salt accordingly. Garnish with chopped cilantro. Enjoy hot!
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live in New Jersey with my husband and two sons.