Chana masala is a staple in my kitchen for quick weeknight meals as well as a go-to dish when entertaining. This perfectly spiced, tangy, aromatic restaurant-style chickpea curry makes for a healthy, protein-packed dinner.
This dish can quickly be made if you have the spices roasted and blended in advance (or you can use ready-made chana masala spice which is readily available). I recently made a batch of this spice blend to speed up my weeknight cooking.
After researching quiet a few recipes and several trials, I now have the perfect recipe that I am thrilled to share with you! This blend uses Kashmiri red chilies that give the dish a deep orange color and just the right amount of heat and dried mango powder to enhance the tangy tomato flavor.
The spice blend uses few basic spices and can be made ahead in a big batch or can also be made while you are sautéing onions for this chana masala recipe.
Here is the Chana Masala recipe using a homemade chana masala spice blend that can be made in a jiffy.
Did you enjoy Chana Masala? Try some of my other favorite chickpea recipes:
- Quick and Easy Instant Pot Chana Saag
- Stove Top Creamy Spinach and Chickpeas
- Chickpeas and Rice - Instant Pot Chickpea Biryani
- Instant Pot Easy Chana Masala
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
- 1 cup chickpeas dry
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- ½ inch ginger grated
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 1 tablespoon chana masala spice blend
- 1 black tea bag optional
- 1 potato boiled, peeled and cubed (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro for garnish optional
- Soak white chickpeas in water overnight or 8-10 hours and pressure cook them until soft. I sometimes pressure cook them with a teabag to give the dish a rich smoky flavor and deep color. Teabag can be discarded once the chickpeas are cooked. You can also use rinsed and drained canned chickpeas.
- Heat ghee in a medium skillet. Add chopped onions and sauté on medium-high heat until it turns golden brown. Add ginger and garlic. Mix well and cook for another minute.
- Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes stirring few times until the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Add chana masala spice blend and mix well. Add boiled chickpeas and salt to taste. Add ¼th cup of water(more or less) to bring the curry to your desired consistency. Occasionally I also add cubed boiled potato to this dish. You can add more spice blend if you are looking for spicier chana masala, especially if you decide to add the potato. Simmer for 5 minutes and garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with steamed basmati rice or paratha!
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.