Crispy spinach mushroom quesadillas with sweet caramalized onions, mushrooms, spinach on whole wheat tortillas loaded with pepper jack cheese makes a delicious lunch or dinner.
Quesadillas are one of our most favorite go-to weeknight dinner or lazy weekend lunch. These veggie quesadillas can be served as snacks for parties making them a perfect easy vegetarian starter dish.
Why we love Spinach and Mushroom Quesadillas:
- no-fail recipe
- great way to get kids to eat vegetables
- you can add more or less cheese
- healthy and nutritious meal in 20 minutes
- Meal Prep recipe – make the filling ahead of time
Ingredients for veggie quesadillas
- I like to use baby spinach as it is pre-washed and there is no need to chop. You can also use regular spinach in this recipe, just make sure its thoroughly dried and then rough chopped. Frozen spinach will also work well in this recipe, simply thaw and squeeze out all the excess water.
- We love pepper jack cheese in this recipe. I have also used mozarella cheese and it tastes delicious. To make vegan quesadillas, try the Go Veggie cheese. Is there a vegan cheese you prefer? Please comment below, I will love to know and it will also benefit other readers.
- I usually make these quesadillas with whole wheat tortillas, trader joes sundried tomato and habernaro tortillas or corn tortillas for gluten free quesadillas. Recently I also tried making these quesadillas with Siete Foods almond flour tortillas that are paleo friendly and vegan. The taste and texture were spot on. And if you are wondering where to buy them, many local grocery stores including whole foods carry Siete tortillas.
Step by step Spinach Mushroom Quesadillas recipe:
- Thinly slice a large onion and white mushrooms.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add some oil. Add the sliced onions and cook them until they are lightly caramelized.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook until tender and turning golden for about 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the baby spinach, little bit at a time and gently mix it all until the spinach is wilted.
- Shred the cheese, we love pepper jack cheese in this recipe, but sometimes I also use mozzarella cheese in which case I add some red pepper flakes to the filling.
- Heat a large skillet/grilling pan on medium heat. Place a tortilla on the pan, apply little oil on both sides and cook for a minute. Flip with a spatula, spread a thin layer of the cooked veggies.
- Spread a layer of shredded cheese on top.
- Carefully place second tortilla on top of the cheese and press it gently with the spatula. Add few more drops of oil while pressing gently. Pressing helps the quesadilla stick together and makes it easier to flip over.
- Pro Tip – Depending on how big your tortilla is, it might be a good idea to just spread the filling and cheese on half of the tortilla and then fold over the other half on top.
- Cook the other side until both sides are nice and crispy golden brown and the cheese starts to melt. Gently put the quesadilla on a cutting board and cut into 4(more or less) slices using a pizza cutter.
- Serve spinach mushroom quesadillas with fresh guacamole or salsa!
If you enjoy mexican flavors, check out some of out other favorite recipes:
- Spicy Chicken Tinga
- Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Black Bean and Corn Quesadillas
- One Pot Chicken Enchilada Quinoa
- Instant Pot Spicy Taco Pasta
★ Have you tried this spinach mushroom quesadillas recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Crispy Spinach, Mushroom and Onion Quesadillas
- 1 large onion
- 8 oz white mushrooms
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 3 tbsp oil
- 6-8 whole wheat tortillas
- Thinly slice a large onion and white mushrooms. In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tbsp oil. Add the sliced onions and cook them until they are lightly caramelized. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until tender for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Add the spinach, little bit at a time and mix it until the spinach is wilted. Remove from heat.
- Heat a large griddle or pan on medium heat. Place a tortilla on the pan, apply little oil on both sides and cook for a minute, flipping with a spatula until the tortilla is hot. Spread a thin layer of the cooked veggies on the tortilla. Spread a layer of shredded cheese on top.
- Carefully place second tortilla on top of the cheese and press it gently with the spatula. Add few more drops of oil while pressing gently. Pressing will help the quesadilla stick together and should be easier to flip it over. Cook until both sides are nice and crispy golden brown and the cheese starts to melt! Gently put the quesadilla on a cutting board and cut into 4(more or less) slices using a pizza cutter.
- Serve with fresh guacamole and salsa.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.
Update Notes: This recipe was originally posted in 2017, but was updated in Sep 2019 with new photos.