Easy Undhiyu, may sound like an oxymoron, but once you read the recipe and I pretty sure you will agree with me and might even award this to be the easiest version!
Traditionally made in a clay pot, Undhiyu is a special gujarati dish made with medley of tubers and veggies likes, purple yam, sweet and regular potatoes, green beans, eggplants, etc. The clay pot is filled with veggies and spices and are then buried in a large underground furnace that is covered with a pile of dried leaves that are set alight.
Otherwise considered as a laborious dish, Undhiyu is extremely convenient and simple to cook for 2 reasons:
- The convenience of frozen, pre-chopped vegetables like purple yam, green beans (surti papdi) and shelled green beans(sutra papdi lilva) that are readily available in Indian grocery stores.
- Using an Instant Pot to layer the veggies and spices and cooking them to perfection without any babysitting.
The spices such as turmeric, ginger, green chili, carom seeds, ground cumin and coriander, ground peanuts and grated coconut add an incredible depth and flavors to this dish. If the list of ingredients looks lengthy, remember that many of the same spices that are using as stuffing in the eggplant are also used to layer over the other veggies.
Although, the hardy veggies can be marinated in the spices before hand, I almost never do that with the Instant Pot. Simply layering them along with the veggies and cooking on low pressure makes this hearty pot of mixed vegetable casserole.
After the veggies are cooked, stir in the pre-cooked steamed dumplings, muthia. And if this dish has started to sound a bit complex, here is another tip – either cook and freeze the muthia (my preferred method, because nothing beats home cooked flavors) or buy the store bought frozen muthia (and I promise these are equally delicious and come in handy.) or skip the muthia.
Either-ways, you will fall in love with the earthy flavors and aromas of this hallmark vegan Gujarati dish.
I often compare this dish to the Maharashtrian mixed vegetable dish, Bhogichi Bhaji, which similar to Undhiyu, is made during the winter months to celebrate the seasons harvest bounty. Both dishes are easy to make in the Instant Pot and very versatile.
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
- 8 baby eggplants
- 1 medium Idaho potato ,peeled and cubed
- 1 medium sweet potato optional
- 1 cup Indian flat beans /frozen surti papdi
- 1 cup diced violet Indian yam /frozen ratalu
- ½ cup shelled indian flat beans /frozen surti papdi lilva
- 1 tablespoon shredded dry coconut ,lightly roasted
- 1 tablespoon ground peanuts
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup oil
- pinch asafetida /hing
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds /ajwain
- 1 teaspoon hot green chilies ,minced
- 2 teaspoon ginger ,grated
- 2 teaspoon garlic ,grated
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric ground
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon ground peanuts
- 2 tablespoon shredded dry coconut lightly roasted
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup pre-cooked muthia
- ½ cup coriander leaves chopped for garnish
- Wash the baby eggplants and trim the stems to about 1/2 inch. Starting from the round globe end, cut the eggplants vertically, stopping before you cut into the stem. Make a second, perpendicular cut from the globe end toward the stem, again stopping before you cut into the stem.
- In a small bowl, stir together the coconut, peanuts, coriander powder, red chili powder and salt. Stuff the eggplants by spooning about 1 to 2 teaspoons of the mixture into the slits. Reserve any remaining mixture (you may not use all of it). Reserve the eggplants.
- Set Instant Pot to saute mode and heat oil. Add hing and carom seeds, cook them for a minute or until aromatic.
- Add potatoes, beans, purple yam and shelled beans. Add green chili, ginger and garlic and mix well. Add turmeric, coriander powder, cumin powder, ground peanuts, coconut, salt and sugar. Add water and layer the stuffed eggplants on top. Springle any remaining stuffing mixture on top. Do not mix.
- Close the Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing and cook on low pressure for 4 minutes. Press Cancel and quick release the pressure. Gently take the cooked eggplant out. Add muthia and cilantro and mix gently. Top with reserved eggplant and enjoy hot!
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.