Misir Wot, Ethiopian spicy lentil stew, is a healthy, protein packed dish made with few basic ingredients and a flavorful berbere spice mix!
I enjoy Ethiopian cuisine and couldn’t wait to try my hand on some of the recipes. So I decided to make the Ethiopian Berbere Spice blend that I can use to season lentils, chicken and fish. I used Cayenne pepper, paprika, fenugreek seeds, dried ginger, coriander, cloves and few other spices that I had in my pantry. Here is a more detailed recipe for homemade Berbere Spice Blend.
If you like to make your own spice blends here are some of my other spice mixes you might enjoy
Berbere spice blend is also available at whole foods and online spice stores likes Penzy’s.
Here is my 11-year old helping me cook, as I worked on the video. We added only 1 tablespoon of the berbere spice blend, but you can add more for an authentic, spicy Misir Wot:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1-2 tablespoon berbere spice blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 cups water divided
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped (optional)
- 1/2 lime
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute mode. After the 'hot' sign displays, add oil and onions. Mix well. Cook covered with a glass lid for 2 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic. Mix well and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add red lentils, berbere spice blend and salt. Add 2 cups of water and mix everything together.
- Close Instant Pot lid with pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Manual(Hi) for 15 mins followed by natural pressure release.
- Open Instant Pot, Stir everything. Add more water to bring the stew to desired consistency. Mix well.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and squeeze fresh lime juice on top before serving with steamed rice or bread.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.