Instant Pot Bread Pudding is a delightful, pillowy-soft french toast bread pudding with warm cinnamon flavors and a hint of vanilla. Unlike the traditional casseroles, there is no need to soak the bread overnight in this quick and easy pressure cooker recipe that is ready in under 30 minutes!
It doesn't matter if it's breakfast, brunch, or dinner your entire family will be asking for seconds. This versatile and crowd-pleasing recipe is also fun to play around with. In our house, we add toppings like butter, chocolate chips, bananas, marmalade, or maple syrup.
It all started with the French Brioche Bread that I have been eyeing at Trader Joe's! Every time I saw it wanted to eat french toast. Finally, I bought it last week and decided to try it in my Instant Pot rather than the conventional baked recipe.
Depending on the thickness of the brioche bread, you may need more or fewer bread slices. I used Trader Joe's brioche bread which is very thick. When you mix the bread in the liquids, there should not be too much excess liquids leftover. About ¼ -½ cup of excess liquids is fine. But if you have more, add another slice or 2 of the bread.
Here are the easy steps:
- Whisk together the eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar, and milk (photo 1)
- Cut the french brioche slices into 1.5-inch cubes (photo 2)
- Grease a cake pan or oven-safe glass bowl (photo 3)
- Dip the cubed bread pieces in the milk custard and then line them in the cake pan (photo 4)
- Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot (photo 5)
- Cover the cake pan with a paper towel and aluminum foil and then place it on a trivet Carefully keep the trivet with the cake pan in the Instant Pot (photo 6)
- Pressure cook (hi) for 15 minutes. Allow 10 minutes of natural pressure release.
- Then carefully take out the cake pan along with the trivet and remove the aluminum foil and paper towel (photos 7 - 8)
- Cut 1 tablespoon of butter into small cubes and spread them on top of the french toast bread pudding and allow it to melt before serving (photos 9 - 10)
Optionally you can also broil the french toast in the oven after pressure cooking for a few minutes to get crispy top but we usually just dig in. Serve with maple syrup and your favorite toppings.
- Spread a spoonful of salted butter on the hot pudding
- Sprinkle a little more cinnamon on top
- Add fruits - bananas or berries work well
- Nuts - love the banana walnut combination
- Kids will love chocolate chips
- Maple syrup
Serve warm with milk, orange juice, or a hot cup of ginger tea
Here is the video that shows how to make this easy Instant Pot French Toast casserole:
More breakfast & brunch recipes to try:
- Banana Bread - a great make ahead recipe that is also vegan
- Cinnamon Khari - Crispy puff pastry twists
- Zucchini bread - perfectly spiced, super moist, nutty zucchini bread
- Apple Cake - Instant Pot and Oven Recipe
- Rava Dhokla - Savory semolina cake spiced with fresh ginger and chilies
- Muthiya - Gujarati delicacy with grated bottle gourd, fresh fenugreek leaves spiced with green chilies, ginger and turmeric
- Handvo - Spiced rice and lentils cake
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
French Toast/Bread Pudding - Instant Pot
- 7 slices of French Brioche bread or any french bread, cut into cubes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk whole or 2% (I used whole milk)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade optional
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- maple syrup
- chocolate chips
- Lightly grease a round 7 inch cake pan with butter or oil. Cover the bottom of the pan with aluminum foil to avoid any liquid from dripping out.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, brown sugar, marmalade, vanilla and 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon until smooth. Note: I have also tried orange zest (from 1 orange) mixed with 1 tablespoon of honey instead of marmalade and it adds a great refreshing flavor.
- Add bread cubes to the bowl and mix gently, so that all the bread pieces are covered with liquids.
- Line up the bread pieces in the cake pan
- Cover the pan with a paper towel and then an aluminum foil on top. If you prefer to not use aluminum foil, cover the pan with a few paper towels instead. This prevents from any additional water from getting into the pan.
- Add 1 cup of water in the Instant Pot. Place the cake pan on the trivet.
- Gently put the trivet in the pot. Close Instant Pot lid with pressure valve to sealing.
- Pressure Cook for 15 mins and allow 10 minutes natural pressure release.
- Open the Instant Pot and using silicon mitts carefully take out the trivet along with the cake pan.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes. You can also broil for 5 minutes for crispy top
- Sprinkle more cinnamon and spread a tablespoon of butter cut into smaller pieces (love salted butter)
- Drizzle some maple syrup and add your favorite toppings - fruit, nuts, raisins or chocolate chips
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.