Just when you think you've seen avocado toast in every way possible, here comes a TikTok trend that blows your mind. It’s so good that I’ve been craving this brilliant Grated Egg Avocado Toast for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I love to mix salty, sweet, and spicy flavors so here’s my take on the awesome trend that has breathed new life into a breakfast classic.
The Viral Tik Tok Recipe
The original recipe is the creation of Sarah Thomas-Drawbaugh of “Healthyish.” It’s not surprising it’s gone viral when a quick and easy breakfast idea turns out looking and tasting this good!! Her recipe calls for kewpie mayo and sriracha along with avocado and grated eggs. Sounds yumm! So excited to add this recipe to my list of FAV TikTok Recipes.
What’s So Special About Grated Egg Toast?
First of all, grating the hardboiled eggs achieves a phenomenal texture. The heap of finely shredded eggs is light, fluffy, and rich—like shredded cheese that practically melts in your mouth.
Grating also distributes the cooked egg yolks and egg whites more evenly. It’s so delicious and there’s no chalky taste or feel at all, as can sometimes happen with hardboiled eggs.
It looks impressive and gorgeous, and fun to eat! It’s also an incredibly easy and nutritious meal. Need I say more??
Ingredients for Grated Egg Avocado Toast
- Sourdough bread
- Hard Boiled Eggs
- Everything but the bagel seasoning
- Hot Honey
Building the Perfect Grated Egg Avocado Toast
- For this dish, I like to lay thinly sliced avocado on my favorite thick-sliced sourdough. I usually mash my avocados for toast, but I love the look of the neat slices and the silky texture against the eggs. Salt and pepper of course.
- Then I run the chilled hardboiled eggs over a microplane, as in the viral videos, and watch in delight as the impressive mound of fluffy grated eggs covers the toast.
- Next, I spice it up with salty crunchy Everything But the Bagel seasoning, a healthy drizzle of Mike’s Hot Honey, and Spicy Red Pepper Flakes. You can also drizzle your favorite hot sauce. The balance of flavors is addicting!
- Hard-boiled eggs can be made ahead and refrigerated. This makes them more firm and easy to grate. Also a great time saver in the morning!
- Sourdough bread works best for this recipe but you can also use thick-sliced multi-grain bread or other artisan bread.
- Use a box or cheese grater if you don’t have a microplane.
Serve this toast immediately for the freshest tasting avocados. We love to serve it with a hot cup of ginger tea in the morning for breakfast. To serve as a more filling brunch pair it with mango chia pudding. It also makes for a delicious after-school snack served with creamy mango lassi.
This easy breakfast recipe can be meal prepped by hard boiling the eggs a day or two before and refrigerating them. Chilled eggs are easier to grate and you will have a delicious breakfast ready in under ten minutes.
- Smash the avocado instead of slicing
- Change it up by topping the toast with easy guacamole! Simply mash avocado with grated garlic, lime juice, salt, and pepper
- Load up the toast with veggies like sliced ripe tomatoes, microgreens, scallions, or chives, and layer on top of the avocado before topping with the eggs
Did you enjoy this fun Tik Tok food trend? Here are some of the viral breakfast food trends that I have tried and enjoyed:
- Yogurt Custard Toast
- Pesto Eggs
- Baked Oats with Berries
- Carrot Cake Baked Oats
- Breakfast Egg Bhurji Tortilla Wrap
- Sweet Nutella Wrap
More Tik Tok Recipes:
- Ramen Noodles
- Green Goddess Salad
- Baked Feta Pasta
- Spinach Mushroom Quesadilla Wrap
- Samosa Tortilla Wrap Hack
Grated Egg Avocado Toast
- Toast the sourdough bread. Cut the avocado in half lengthwise and peel. Remove the pit. Thinly slice each half of the avocado and place it on the toasted bread. Sprinkle salt and pepper.
- Using a Microplane grater, grate hard-boiled egg on top of the avocado. Sprinkle half of everything but bagel seasoning on top and drizzle with Mike's hot honey. Sprinkle some red chili flakes on top and enjoy immediately.
- Place 1 cup of water in the Instant Pot insert and keep the trivet inside
- Place eggs on top of the trivet
- Close the Instant Pot lid with pressure valve to sealing and pressure cook for five minutes followed by five-minute natural pressure release
- Release any remaining pressure by moving the pressure release valve to venting Using heat-proof mittens take out the inner pot and run cold water on top of the eggs for 2 minutes
- Peel the eggs