Mixed Lentils & Vegetables Khichdi is a vegetarian one-pot gluten-free dish. Cooked with lentils, rice, vegetables that are spiced with turmeric and red chili powder and topped with ghee it makes for an amazingly flavorful comfort meal.
Khichdi, Khichadi, or Kitchari is a nourishing porridge-like dish cooked with lentils and rice. Referred to as the Indian “comfort food”, it is often used for babies and the elderly, a healthy meal that is easy to chew, digest and SO good for the body!
I grew up eating khichdi for a LOT of dinner meals. My mom cooked this soft, lightly spiced dish that was so comforting and light that it always made a perfect dinner. She had many variations of this dish, so when someone asks me about khichdi, there are so many different recipes that come to my mind.
This khichdi recipe was developed over the years, adding and changing the combination of vegetables and spices so as to not overpower the dish. I now have a recipe that I love and is my signature dish! A recipe I was so proud to share with my mom, who absolutely loves it and has on a repeat list.
Step by step recipe for mixed lentils & vegetable khichdi in the Instant Pot:
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute Mode and heat ghee. Add cumin seeds and ginger. Cook for 30 seconds. Add all the vegetables (carrots, beans, peas, tomato, potato, cauliflower, cabbage, and spinach). Mix well.
Add turmeric, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well. Add rice and mixed lentils. Add 6 cups of water. Give everything a quick stir and close the Instant Pot lid with pressure valve to sealing. Press the rice button (12 mins) followed by natural pressure release.
- Open the Instant Pot and garnish the khichdi with cilantro. Serve hot with roasted papad and pickle.
- Substitute the 4 different lentils I used with any lentils you may have on hand. It could be just 1 cup of moong daal or 1/2 cup of moong daal and 1/2 cup of chana daal. Just make sure you take 1 cup of lentils.
- You can use any combination of vegetables. Just make sure to add about 4 cups of chopped veggies. Frozen mixed vegetables also work well in this recipe.
- To make this khichdi with brown rice, simply increase the pressure cook time to 20 minutes.
- To make this recipe vegan, simply substitute ghee with cooking oil.
- The water ratio in this recipe is 3 times the rice and lentils together which makes a soft, porridge-like consistency for the final dish. To make dry-ish khichdi reduce the water to 4 cups.
Here is a quick video to make Mixed Lentils & Vegetables Khichdi in the Instant Pot:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Instant Pot Mixed Lentils and Vegetables Khichdi
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 1 carrot peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup green beans chopped
- ¼ cup frozen green peas
- 1 red potato cubed
- 1 tomato diced
- 1 cup cauliflower chopped
- 1 cup cabbage chopped
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup mixed lentils moong, masoor, toor and chana daal
- 6 cups water
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped, for garnish
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute Mode and heat ghee. Add cumin seeds and ginger.
- Cook for 30 seconds. Add all the vegetables – carrots, beans, peas, tomato, potato, cauliflower, cabbage, and spinach.
- Add turmeric, red chili powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Next add the rice and mixed lentils. Add 6 cups of water. Give a quick stir and close the Instant Pot lid with the pressure valve to Sealing.
- Press the rice button (12 mins) followed by natural pressure release. Open the Instant Pot and garnish with cilantro. Serve hot with roasted papad and pickle.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.