Mom’s Chicken Curry is an unbelievably tasty homestyle chicken curry with an earthy onion & coconut based curry loaded with spicy warm flavors of fresh ginger, garlic, turmeric and garam masala.
This chicken curry is a family recipe that I grew up eating many Sundays. Our family mostly ate vegetarian meals while Sundays were special for non vegetarian meals. I might fall short of words trying to describe my mom’s chicken curry. This is not your usual restaurant curry. It is a perfectly spiced curry with earthy flavors from the spices, a comfort food and a treasured recipe packed with mom’s love!
Expert Tips on this Mom’s Chicken Curry Recipe:
- This recipe uses mom’s garam masala but I have made it using the simple 5-ingredient garam masala and it is equally good.
- The curry paste in this recipe, has incredibly deep flavors, can be made-ahead, and used as a base in many other curries. The curry paste also freezes well, so make a double batch.
- Although this recipe can be made on stove top I would highly recommend using Instant Pot as the chicken will consistently cook to perfection. Never over or undercooked. The saute function also works perfectly for making the curry paste.
Mom’s chicken curry is a THREE-part recipe. Let me show you step by step:
Step 1: Pressure cook chicken in green spice paste
Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode and heat oil. Add asafetida and turmeric powder. Carefully add the ginger-garlic-cilantro-mint paste to the oil. Be careful as the oil could splutter out. Sauté for a minute. Add chicken, onions and salt. Mix well, coating the chicken with the spices.
Add 1 cup of water and mix well. Close the Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Set to Manual(Hi) for 8 minutes. Open the Instant Pot after 10 minutes of Natural Pressure Release (photos 1 – 4).
Step 2: Make the curry paste with onions, coconut & spices
In a medium pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add diced onions and cook for 10 minutes, on medium hight heat, stirring frequently until the onions turn golden brown. Add coconut and cook for another 5 minutes on medium-low heat as the coconut browns very quickly. Turn the heat off and allow to cool
Once the onions and coconut have cooled down, add them to the blender and make a smooth paste using 2 to 3 tablespoons of water or as needed. Next, add oil to the same pan that was used to roast the onions. Add the pasta and cook it until the oil starts to separate from the sides, stirring frequently. Then add remaining spices – turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala and mix well. Cook for another minute and turn the heat off.
Note: This Masala Paste can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 5 days or can be frozen for extended shelf.
Step 3: Stir the curry paste in cooked chicken
I would not have tried making this recipe in my Instant Pot if not for my mom. Here is a video to show the process of this tasty mom’s chicken curry:
More Chicken Curry recipes to try:
- Chicken Karahi – EASY homestyle curry with flavorful ginger & spices
- Chicken Kheema – Served sloppy Joe style or over rice, use any ground meat of your choice in this versatile Keema recipe
- Butter Chicken – Healthier version with same authentic taste
- Chicken Tikka Masala – Better than restaurant and easy to make at home this chicken tikka masala is everyone’s favorite
- Chicken Kofta Curry – Homemade chicken kofta’s perfectly spiced with ginger, garlic, spices and then steamed in a spicy curry sauce
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Mom’s Chicken Curry
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon asafetida
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 inch fresh ginger cut into 5-6 pieces
- 12 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint chopped
- 4 pounds whole bone-in skinless chicken pieces (3-4 inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 4 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for Curry Paste:
- 2 tablespoon oil divided
- 2 cups red onions diced
- 3/4 th cup dry unsweetened grated coconut
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1-2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a medium pan add 1 tablespoon of oil. Add diced onions and cook for 10 minutes, on medium hight heat, stirring frequently until the onions turn golden brown. Add coconut and cook for another 5 minutes on medium low heat. Allow to cool down.
- Once cooled, add the mixture to a blender. Add half a cup of water and blend to make a smooth paste. Return the paste to the pan.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Cook this paste on medium high heat until the oil starts to separate from the sides. Add the remaining spices – turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt. Cook on low heat for a minute, stirring the curry paste frequently so it does not stick to the pan. Keep aside.
- In a small blender jar or food processor, make a fine paste of ginger, garlic, cilantro and mint by adding 2 tablespoon of water. Keep aside.
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute(more) mode and heat oil. Add asafetida and turmeric powder.
- Carefully add the ginger-garlic-cilantro-mint paste to the oil. Be careful as the oil could splutter out. Saute for a minute.
- Add chicken, onions and salt. Mix well, coating the chicken with the spices. Add 1 cup of water and mix well.
- Close the Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Set to Manual(Hi) for 8 minutes.
- Open the Instant Pot after 10 minutes of Natural Pressure Release. Add the Curry Paste and gently fold it in the cooked chicken.
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute mode and bring the chicken curry to a full boil. Turn Instant Pot off. Garnish with more cilantro. Enjoy hot with chapati, naan and rice.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.