For years, Thai chicken massaman curry was my absolute must-have dish to order and devour in Thai restaurants. Creamy chicken curry with nuts and soft cooked potatoes served over fluffy, hot jasmine rice always made a satisfying meal that I looked forward to.Few years later, I learnt a homemade version of this classic Thai massaman curry from a friend. Her recipe has been a keep-sake for us, it has a perfect combination of spice with smooth curry that coats the perfectly cooked chunks of potatoes and tender chicken. The addition of whole cashews adds luxurious texture and nutty taste to this curry.
So, what makes this Thai massaman curry recipe so simple, delicious and a repeat in my kitchen? A good quality curry paste! For us it is the Maesri Massaman curry paste. I usually add the entire 4-ounce can, but you can always add it as per your taste.. This curry paste has some my favorite spices – coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, lemongrass and of course galangal with its earthy, citrusy flavors for an authentic asian curry taste.
Maesri brand curry paste does not contain fish sauce, which makes it a good option to adapt up this recipe for vegetarian eaters. It is available in whole foods, asian grocery stores like h-mart and also on amazon.com
Over the last year or so, I have adapted most of my chicken curries to my favorite kitchen appliance, the Instant Pot ,including this authentic Thai chicken massaman curry. This recipe not only makes the most tender chicken curry without having to baby sit over the stove, but I can also make the perfect Jasmine rice, using the pot in pot method, which makes this a true one-pot meal for busy weeknights. Are you ready to try it?
Here is how to change up this Thai Chicken Massaman Curry RECIPE to make vegetarian Massaman Curry RECIPE:
- add 1 inch chunks of hardy root vegetables like carrots and sweet potatoes in addition to the potatoes that are called in the recipe.
- Add extra 1/2 cup water or separated coconut water from the can.
- skip the optional fish sauce.
- pressure cook for 4 to 5 minutes followed by quick release.
- after the pressure cooking cycle is completed, stir in your favorite veggies like beans, mushrooms, broccoli, peppers, tofu, and cook on saute mode for 3 to 4 minutes to avoid them from being over cooked.
If you enjoy Thai food, you will also enjoy our favorite Thai red curry chicken recipe.
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Tender chicken and potatoes cooked in a spicy, nutty Thai curry served with fragrant jasmine rice
- 1.5 pound chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 1 4 ounce can massaman curry paste (maesri brand)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 can regular coconut milk seperate cream and water
- 1 large russet potato peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 20 whole cashews
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup Jasmine Rice rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Add Jasmine rice, water and salt to a stainless steel bowl and keep aside.
Separate the coconut cream and watery portion of the coconut milk and keep aside.
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute mode and heat oil. Add the massaman curry paste and saute for 10 to 15 seconds.
Add chicken and mix well with the curry paste. Add potatoes, onions, cashews, fish sauce, brown sugar and salt. Add 1/2 cup of the separated water from the coconut milk and stir everything well.
- Carefully place the tall trivet inside the Instant Pot. Place the prepared rice bowl on the trivet.
- Close the Instant Pot lid with pressure value to sealing. Cook on manual/pressure cook (Hi) for 5 mins followed by 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Open the Instant Pot, take out the rice bowl and trivet using heat resistant mitts.
Stir in the reserved coconut cream. Set the Instant Pot to Saute mode and bring the curry to a gentle boil.
- Enjoy hot over steamed jasmine rice.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.