Chicken Korma – A mildly spiced chicken curry made with whole spices like cardamom, cloves, black pepper, and cumin simmered in a light, flavorful yogurt based sauce!
After publishing several Instant Pot recipes, I realized that not everyone enjoys spicy foods. Some children might like to try Indian food but will not because it could be too spicy! As much as I love spices, I do not like them overpowering my food. Just because it is Indian food, it does NOT have to be spicy!
This simple Chicken Korma recipe is a perfect dish if you enjoy mild curries without worrying about possible heart burn. If you enjoy eating chicken drumsticks, this would be a perfect recipe for you to try. This curry can also be made with chicken thighs or breasts with or without bones, although I would recommend making this with thigh meat for a moist and flavorful curry. If you prefer a creamier curry, stir in a couple spoons of cashew cream (cashews soaked in warm milk and pureed) in the end.
Lastly, do not confuse this recipe with the shahi chicken korma, which is a variation of this recipe with a hint of sweetness from nuts and raisins. I will post my recipe of the shahi korma soon.. so stay tuned!
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
- 1.5 pounds chicken thighs cut into pieces I used 6 skinless drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 4 green cardamom whole
- 4 cloves
- 12 black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ - 1 teaspoon kashmiri chili powder or any mild red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ cup full fat or greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped, for garnish
Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode and heat oil. Add whole spices (cardamom, cloves, black pepper and cumin). Saute for 30 secs.
Add onion and mix well. Saute for 2 minutes covered with glass lid.
- Add ginger, garlic, turmeric, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix well.
Add chicken, mix well to evenly coat all the spices to the chicken.
- Add ¼ cup of water. Close Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Manual(Hi) for 8 mins followed by 5 min Natural release.
Open the Instant Pot, add a few spoonfuls of hot curry to the yogurt and mix well. This step is important to avoid the cold yogurt getting split in the curry.
- Cook on Saute mode to thicken the sauce. Garnish with chopped cilantro!
- We enjoy this curry a bit soupy. If you want a thick curry, reduce the ¼ cup water by adding only 2 tbsp of water and saute in the end for few extra minutes.
- For boneless chicken thighs or breasts - cook for 5 mins followed by 10 minute natural pressure release.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.