Misir Wot, Ethiopian spicy lentil stew, is a healthy, protein packed dish made with few basic ingredients and a flavorful berbere spice mix!
I enjoy Ethiopian cuisine and couldn’t wait to try my hand on some of the recipes. So I decided to make the Ethiopian Berbere Spice blend that I can use to season lentils, chicken and fish. I used Cayenne pepper, paprika, fenugreek seeds, dried ginger, coriander, cloves and few other spices that I had in my pantry. Here is a more detailed recipe for homemade Berbere Spice Blend.
Berbere spice blend is also available at whole foods and online spice stores likes Penzy’s.
Here is my 11-year old helping me cook, as I worked on the video. We added only 1 tablespoon of the berbere spice blend, but you can add more for an authentic, spicy Misir Wot:
- 1 cup split red lentils
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 tablespoon berbere spice blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 cups water, divided
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- ½ lime
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute mode. After the 'hot' sign displays, add oil and onions. Mix well. Cook covered with a glass lid for 2 minutes.
- Add ginger and garlic. Mix well and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add red lentils, berbere spice blend and salt. Add 2 cups of water and mix everything together.
- Close Instant Pot lid with pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Manual(Hi) for 15 mins followed by natural pressure release.
- Open Instant Pot, Stir everything. Add more water to bring the stew to desired consistency. Mix well.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and squeeze fresh lime juice on top before serving with steamed rice or bread.