Whether you need a gluten-free banana bread recipe or one with chocolate chips in it, this almond flour banana bread is the best. It is a very soft and sweet bread that is the perfect thing to indulge in when you are craving dessert.
Banana bread is one of those recipes you learn to make when your bananas are too ripe. My family loves eating it for breakfast, and I don’t mind letting them. Since this is made with almond flour, it’s a high-protein recipe that’s actually good for them.
There are lots of ways you can make banana bread – this one is paleo and doesn’t have any artificial sugar. My recipe is a pretty classic one. It’s banana nut bread – but instead of all-purpose flour, I used almond flour. I added some dark chocolate chips for even more flavor.
I even have an eggless option for you if you are allergic to eggs.
All of the specific ingredient amounts are listed in the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post.
Here is what you will need from the grocery store before you begin:
- Fine Almond Flour
- Dark Chocolate Chips
- Flaxseed Meal
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Ghee or butter
- Vanilla extract
The walnuts are optional. I think they give the bread extra protein and texture. I love making banana nut bread and walnuts are the best nuts for sweetbreads.
You can use either ghee or butter interchangeably. I prefer ghee because it is easier to digest since it is dairy-free.
- To prevent the banana bread from sticking to the pan, use parchment paper. This also makes cleanup easy
- If you don’t have parchment paper, you can also grease the bottom and sides of the pan with oil or cooking spray. Make sure you spray it liberally and don’t miss any spots.
- Almond flour bread takes a longer time to bake. To make sure that it’s fully cooked, stick a toothpick into the middle of the bread and it comes out clean.
The entire recipe with all the detailed instructions is in the printable recipe card just a little further down. First, I have some photos of the entire process so that you can make your bread along with me and see what it looks like at each step.
In a large mixing bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together (1,2).
In another mixing bowl, mash the bananas and mix them up with the eggs, ghee, and vanilla (3, 4, 5, 6).
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir everything gently, just until it is well combined (7,8).
Pour this mixture into the bread pan that is already greased or has parchment paper in it. Sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips on top (9, 10).
Then, bake the bread at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes. When it’s done, let the bread cool on a cooling rack for about 15 minutes.
Eggless Banana Bread
Here is how to make banana bread without eggs:
- Whisk together 3 tablespoons of flaxseed meal with 9 tablespoons of water.
- Allow this mixture to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add that entire mixture to the banana bread batter instead of the eggs.
Please remember that it is normal for the middle of the eggless banana bread to sink a bit as the cake cools down.
No, this recipe is not a low-carb or keto recipe as it is because it uses dark chocolate chips that are not sugar-free. If you use sugar-free chocolate chips, this can certainly be a low-carb recipe. Just make sure you track the carbs you eat since this is still fairly high in carbs thanks to the bananas.
The best way to store banana bread is on the counter at room temperature. Just make sure and cover it up with foil or plastic wrap or a lid. This will last about a week.
Yes, you can freeze this bread. To do that, just wrap it tightly in aluminum foil and store it in a sealed zipper freezer bag. It will last about 6 months in the freezer.
The best way to help your bananas ripen faster is to place them in a paper bag for about a day.
Look for ultra-fine blanched almond flour. Do not use almond meal. Almond meal has bits of the nut skins in it, so it will make the bread have a grainy texture.
If you enjoyed this almond flour banana bread, then you will enjoy these baked recipes too.
- Instant Pot Banana Bread
- Instant Pot Zucchini Bread
- Healthy Quinoa Almond Date Truffles
- Almond Flour Brownies
Almond Flour Banana Bread
- 9 X 5 bread pan
- 2.5 cups fine almond flour
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup walnuts chopped (optional)
- 3 very ripe bananas or 1 cup mashed
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons ghee oil or butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a 9 X 5 bread pan with parchment paper. Note: You can also grease the bottom and sides with oil or cooking spray.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas with a fork, add eggs, ghee, vanilla. Mix well and then add in the dry ingredients. Stir until everything is just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the bread pan.
- Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top. Bake for 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool on a cooling rack for 10 to 15 minutes before cutting into slices