Green Bean Curry potatoes is a delicious Indian curry cooked with creamy potatoes and just a few earthy spices. Best served with hot rotis or for a gluten-free meal pair it with steamed rice, either way, you have a healthy and hearty curry ready in less than 30 minutes.
Growing up, everyday meals were usually made up of a simple delicious curry, a lentil or beans based dal, fresh whole wheat rotis, and steamed rice. Homemade Indian curries are light and healthy, made with few basic spices that allow the taste of the vegetable to shine through.
My mom often referred to green beans as french beans and made several variations of them. This curried green beans recipe is one of my favorites as she adds diced potatoes to it which makes it not only filling but also adds creamy textures.
I love that green beans are readily available throughout the year in most grocery stores here in the US. Although, fresh green beans are bountiful during the summer months and I would highly recommend buying them at your local farmers market. A low-calorie vegetable, tender green beans are packed with dietary fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Add some healing spices to it and you have a flavor-packed dish that can be cooked in minutes for the whole family to enjoy.
The few basic spices that I like to add to this gluten-free vegan curry are:
- cumin seeds – added to the hot oil for nutty flavors
- ground turmeric – bright, healing spice to add a peppery-woody taste and a deep golden color
- red chili powder – along with turmeric adds a gorgeous orange hue with just the right amount of heat
- ground coriander – a perfect pairing with cumin seeds coriander adds earthy texture
- After trimming the green beans cut them into 1-inch pieces which will cook to perfection in 2 minutes of pressure cooking time
- Dice the potato in half-inch cubes so that they cook perfectly along with the green beans
- You can also use frozen green beans in this recipe with the same pressure cook time
- Remember to layer the red chili powder and coriander powder on top. This prevents dry spices from getting stuck to the bottom of the pot which may lead to burn
Here is a quick step by step process to make the green bean curry in the Instant Pot:
Step 1: Turn the Instant Pot to sauté mode and heat oil. Add cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle. Add turmeric and mix well. Next add the chopped green beans, salt and mix well. Add cup water and mix well. Add potatoes, layer over red chili powder, coriander. Do not mix.
Step 2: Pressure cook for 2 minutes followed by quick release. Open the Instant Pot and squeeze lemon juice. Mix well.
Do you love Indian curries and stir fries? Checkout these delicious vegetarian recipes:
- Stuffed okra – Indian Spiced Okra stuffed with spices and ground peanuts
- Aloo Gobi – Stir fried cauliflower and potato curry
- Batata Bhaji – Creamy potatoes spiced with turmeric, ginger and chilis
- Instant Pot stuffed eggplant – Easy version of a traditional stuffed eggplant
- Tindora Fry – Tendli stir fried with cashews and coconut
- Baingan Bharta – Spicy eggplant mash with onions, garlic and chili
Green Bean Curry | Aloo Beans
- 1½ tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder or a mild variety
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pound green beans trimmed & cut into 1-inch pieces, about 3 cups
- 1 medium potato peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- ¼ cup water
- ½ lemon
- ¼ cup cilantro finely chopped
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute mode and heat oil. Add cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle. Add turmeric and mix well. Add green beans, salt and mix well. Add water and mix well. Add potatoes, layer over red chili powder, coriander. Do not mix.
- Pressure cook for 2 minutes followed by quick release. Open the Instant Pot and squeeze lemon juice. Mix well, garnish with cilantro and enjoy with hot rotis.