Chicken Marsala, luscious chicken braised in buttery, wine soaked mushrooms and herbs, can be served with a side of garlic mash, crunchy sautéed string beans or some bread to soak up the extra sauce! For us, the dish stands up well on its own making it a hearty week night meal that can be whipped up in no-time.
What is the best Marsala Wine to use?
- Chicken Marsala is made with the marsala wine that comes from the region surrounding town of Marsala in Sicily. I have tried a few marsala wines for this recipe and so far my favorite is well balanced and intensely flavored Florio marsala wine.
Why make Chicken Marsala in the Instant Pot?
- No oil splattering while browning the chicken and hence easy clean up
- All the flavors are sealed in during pressure cooking
- No need to pound the chicken
- Cooks perfectly tender and juicy every time
Pro Tips & step by step by step Instant Pot Chicken Marsala recipe:
- Sauté the mushrooms in butter and oil until they turn into a deeper brown color and most of the liquid has cooked off which will add a richer flavor. Reserve the mushrooms to be added to the chicken in the end. This step helps the mushrooms being over cooked in the pressure cooker and also avoiding excess liquids in the dish.
- Lightly dredge the chicken with flour, salt, pepper and herbs. I prefer fresh oregano or thyme or both, but dried herbs work well too.
- Brown the chicken in butter or oil just on one side. This is to get some fond and also to cook some of the flour to get a smooth sauce.
- Add the marsala wine, onions, salt and deglaze the pot loosening any browned bits from the bottom of the pot. This step will enrich the flavors as well as make sure that the Instant Pot comes to pressure without the bottom getting burnt with any stuck bits of chicken or flour. You can add some minced garlic at this stage.
- Pressure cook and allow 10 minutes of natural pressure release which will help the chicken from being overcooked ad stay tender.
- Add the sautéed mushrooms to meld the flavors and saute until the sauce starts to thicken up. You can add a splash of cream at this stage to add more creaminess to the dish.
Check out the video that shows this easy and delicious Instant Pot Chicken Marsala recipe:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
- 1.5 pounds chicken breasts cut each breast into 2 pieces
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon oregano finely chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried oregano)
- 1 teaspoon thyme finely chopped (optional)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 2 cups shiitake Mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups of crimini or white mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup marsala wine
- 2 tablespoons parsley chopped for garnish
- Add 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, oregano, thyme and flour to a zip lock bag. Mix well and add chicken breasts to the bag. Shake the zip lock back few times so chicken gets coated with the flour.
- Turn Instant Pot to saute and heat 1 tablespoon of butter. Add mushrooms and saute them for 2 to 3 minutes until they cook dark brown and the liquids start to evaporate. Take the mushrooms out and reserve.
Add remaining butter, line the chicken breasts. Cook for a minute. Flip the chicken breasts on the other side. Add onions, marsala wine and 1 teaspoon salt, mix well and cook for another minute as some of the wine starts to evaporate and reduce. Deglaze the bottom of the pot well to remove any stuck bits.
- Close the Instant Pot lid with pressure valve to sealing. Set Instant Pot to Manual(High) 5 mins with pressure valve to sealing. Allow 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Open the Instant Pot and set to saute mode. Stir in the reserved mushrooms, simmer for 3 to 4 minutes as the sauce thickens to get it to desired consistency. Sauce will also thicken as it cools down. Garnish with parsley.
- Add a 2 to 3 tablespoons heavy cream for a richer, creamier sauce.
- Substitute shiitake or cremini mushrooms with your favorite mushrooms. You can also use 4 cups of white mushrooms.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥
Hey there! I am a techie turned recipe developer, cooking instructor, and food blogger. I love food and enjoy developing easy and healthy recipes for busy lifestyles. I live New Jersey with my husband and two sons.