Easy one pot pasta caprese with tomatoes, basil, fresh mozzarella and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar cooked in the Instant Pot.
Do you love pasta? Here is a classic and flavorful Pasta Caprese recipe not to miss. It is our favorite pasta with few wholesome ingredients.
Why Cook Pasta in the Instant Pot:
- Cooking the pasta in the Instant Pot gives it a naturally creamy texture as the recipes do not require draining the excess water after pressure cooking the pasta. This water adds a great testure and flavor to the dish.
Pro tips for perfect Instant Pot Pasta Caprese.
- Add enough water/broth/tomato sauce so that most of the pasta is under the liquids
- Layer the pasta sauce on top of the water or broth and do not mix it in
- For a well cooked pasta, pressure cook pasta for half the time on the pasta box
- For Al dente pasta, pressure cook for half the time on the pasta box minus 1 minute
- Always add cheese and balsamic vinegar after the pasta is done pressure cooking
- Quick releasing after pressure cooking will avoid overcooking the pasta
Instant Pot cooking tips:
- Start with mise en place.
- Make sure there bottom of the pot is not browned from sauteeing the onions.
- If the bottom of the pot does get browned, simply add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water, press cancel and deglaze the pot well before adding remaining ingredients.
Step by step Instant Pot Pasta Caprese Recipe:
Set the Instant Pot to Sauté mode and heat oil. Add onion, garlic, crushed red pepper and sauté for a minute (photos 1 – 2).
Add tomatoes, pasta, pasta sauce, half of the basil leaves and salt. Add 1 cup of water and Gently push all the pasta under liquids (photos 3 – 4).
Close the Instant Pot and turn the steam release handle to sealing. Pressure Cook/Manual(High) for 4 minutes. Quick Release and open the Instant Pot. Add fresh mozzarella cheese and balsamic vinegar. Garnish with remaining basil and shredded parmesan (photos 7 – 10).
Here is a quick video on how to make Instant Pot Pasta Caprese:
Love Instant Pot Pasta recipes? Check out our favorites:
Instant Pot Pasta Caprese
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 2-1/2 cups mezze penne
- 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 handful basil leaves
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella balls
- Grated parmesan cheese optional
- 1 cup water
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté mode and heat oil. Add onion, garlic and crushed red pepper. Sauté for a minute.
- Add tomatoes, pasta, pasta sauce, half of the basil leaves, salt and 1 cup of water. Gently push all the pasta under liquids.
- Close the Instant Pot and turn the steam release handle to sealing. Adjust the cook time to Pressure Cook/Manual(High) for 4 minutes.
- Quick Release. Stir genlty. Add fresh mozzarella cheese and balsamic vinegar.
- Serve hot garnished with more chopped basil and shredded parmesan.