Easy one pot pasta caprese with tomatoes, basil, fresh mozzarella and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar cooked in the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
Do you love pasta? Here is a classic and flavorful Pasta Caprese recipe not to miss. It is our favorite pasta with few wholesome ingredients.
Here is why I love to cook Pasta in the Instant Pot: Cooking the pasta in the Instant Pot do not require draining the excess water after pressure cooking the pasta. This water adds a a nice creamy texture and flavors are sealed in nicely. You can cook the pasta al dente or well done, regular flour pasta or gluten free variety, I can show you the tips and tricks for perfectly cooked pasta every time. With just one pot to clean, we love the new quick and easy method for cooking pasta.
Here are my tips for perfect Instant Pot Pasta:
- Add enough liquids (water, broth, tomato sauce etc) so that most of the pasta is submerged under
- Layer thick tomato pasta sauce on top and do not mix it in to prevent BURN error
- For a well cooked pasta, pressure cook pasta for half the time on the pasta box
- For Al dente pasta or gluten free pasta, pressure cook for half the time on the pasta box minus 1 minute
- Always add cheeses, heavy cream, balsamic vinegar etc after the pasta is done pressure cooking
- Quick releasing after pressure cooking will avoid overcooking the pasta
And here are my general cooking tips with Instant Pot:
- Always mise en place
- Make sure there bottom of the pot is not browned from sautéing the onions
- If the bottom of the pot does get browned, simply add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water, press cancel and deglaze the pot well before adding remaining ingredients to prevent the “BURN” error
Here is the step by step Instant Pot Pasta Caprese Recipe:
Step 1: Set the Instant Pot to Sauté mode and heat oil. Add onion, garlic, crushed red pepper and sauté for a minute (photos 1 – 2).
Add tomatoes, pasta, pasta sauce, half of the basil leaves and salt. Add 1 cup of water and Gently push all the pasta under liquids (photos 3 – 4).
Step 2: Close the Instant Pot and turn the steam release handle to sealing. Pressure Cook/Manual(High) for 4 minutes. Quick Release and open the Instant Pot. Add fresh mozzarella cheese and balsamic vinegar. Garnish with remaining basil and shredded parmesan (photos 7 – 10).
Enjoy hot! If making ahead, add the mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese and basil leaves just before serving.
Love Instant Pot Pasta recipes? Check out our favorites:
- Penne Alla Vodka
- Spicy Taco Pasta
- Spinach Artichoke Mac and Cheese
- Spinach Mushroom Lasagna
- Masala Mac n Cheese
- Creamy Tomato Pasta
Instant Pot Pasta Caprese
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper optional
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 2-1/2 cups mezze penne
- 1 15 oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 handful basil leaves
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar, or to taste
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella balls if the balls are too big, cut into half or quarters
- Grated parmesan cheese optional
- 1 cup water
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté mode and heat oil. Add onion, garlic and crushed red pepper. Sauté for a minute.
- Add tomatoes, pasta, pasta sauce, half of the basil leaves, salt and 1 cup of water. Gently push all the pasta under liquids.
- Close the Instant Pot and turn the steam release handle to sealing. Adjust the cook time to Pressure Cook/Manual(High) for 4 minutes.
- Quick Release. Stir genlty. Add fresh mozzarella cheese and balsamic vinegar.
- Serve hot garnished with more chopped basil and shredded parmesan.