This spinach mushroom lasagna is layered with spinach, mushrooms, garlic, and cheeses and then pressure cooked in the Instant Pot! You will love this new cooking technique the classic lasagna for a quick weeknight meal. Perfectly cooked pasta loaded with vegetables, cheese, sauce, and a hint of spice all with easy cleanup.
This spinach mushroom lasagna was on our repeat recipe past summer. Not having to heat up the house with the oven was a big bonus. But now that we are in the cooler weather, this still remains to be our go-to lasagna recipe.
This recipe is convenient & hassle-free with the no-boil lasagna noodles and cooked to perfection in the Instant Pot. Also, a great make-ahead dish that can be warmed up in the Instant Pot or oven.
- A 7" cake push pan works great for this recipe but you can also use a stainless steel bowl, an ovenproof glass bowl, or a springform pan
- You can broil the pasta for a crispy top if you like. We usually prefer it straight out of the Instant Pot
- You can easily incorporate ground meats into this lasagna by first sautéing it along with the onions and garlic
Make the Veggie Filling: Sauté onions, garlic, frozen chopped spinach, and mushrooms in the Instant Pot. Discard any excess liquids, and reserve the veggies.
Mix in Cheeses: Mix together ricotta cheese, mozzarella, and parmesan. We skip the egg in this recipe, but if you like you can whisk in 1 to 2 eggs and stir them in the cheese filling.
Assemble: Start with 3 sheets for the first layer broken into 3-4 pieces. Line up the broken lasagna sheets in the circular pan. Spread half a cup of marinara sauce over the noodles followed by half of the sautéed veggies. Spread half of the cheese mix.
Repeat the above steps one more time and you are ready for the final top layer! Spread the remaining 3 lasagna sheets, tomato sauce, and the reserved mozzarella and parmesan cheese. That's all! Cover the pan with aluminum foil so the water from the Instant Pot does not get in the lasagna pan. Place the pan on the trivet.
Add one cup of water to the Instant Pot insert. Place the trivet carefully in the Instant Pot. Set the Instant Pot to manual/pressure cook (hi) for 20 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally. Using heat-resistant mitts carefully take out the trivet and the lasagna pan. Allow cooling for 5 minutes.
To remove the lasagna, run a butter knife around the sides of the pan. Then place the pan on a cup and gently push down the rims of the pan. Place the bottom disk of the cake pan with the lasagna on a platter, cut the lasagna and serve.
In addition to this easy lasagna recipe, here are some of our favorite pasta using Instant Pot for easy meals:
- Pasta with Creamy Tomato Sauce
- Penne Alla Vodka
- Spinach Artichoke Mac n Cheese
- Pasta Caprese
- Lasagna Soup
- Spicy Taco Pasta
spinach mushroom lasagna
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 8 oz white mushrooms diced, about 2 cups
- 3 cups frozen chopped spinach
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 9 no-boil oven ready lasagna sheets
- 1½ cup marinara sauce
- 1½ cup part-skim mozzarella cheese divided
- ½ cup parmesan cheese divided
- 1 cup low fat ricotta cheese
- Set Instant Pot to saute mode and heat oil. Add onions and garlic, mix well and cook covered with a glass lid for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, spinach and red pepper flakes. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Take out the sautéed vegetables, draining excess liquids. Keep aside.
- Quick rinse the Instant Pot insert and dry well both inside and outside.
- Mix ricotta cheese, ¼ cup of parmesan and 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and keep aside.
- Add 1 cup of water to the Instant Pot insert. Use the 7” fat daddios cake push pan or similar cake pan.
- Break 3 pasta sheets and arrange them evenly in the cake pan. Spread ½ cup of pasta sauce over it. Spread half of the spinach-mushroom mixture over the sauce. Spread half of the mixed cheese evenly.
- Repeat the above starting with pasta, sauce, veggies and cheese.
- Layer the remaining 3 pasta sheets and tomato sauce. Sprinkle ½ cup of mozzarella and remaining parmesan cheese on top.
- Cover the cake pan with aluminum foil. Put the cake pan on the trivet and carefully place the trivet inside the Instant Pot. Close Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing.
- Pressure Cook for 20 mins followed by 10 minutes Natural Pressure Release. Open Instant Pot and enjoy.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥ Subscribe to our Youtube Channel for tasty and easy video recipes. Looking for more Instant Pot recipes? Check out our delicious Instant Pot Recipe board on Pinterest.
Archana, I liked this lasagna recipe because it serves 4 and uses oven-ready/no boil pasta.
For the veggie filling-using frozen chopped spinach makes it easy. Also I suggest using Trader Joe's frozen mushroom medley and throw in frozen corn and frozen spiralized carrots for color.
What was challenging in this recipe was trying to fit rectangular pasta sheets in a round container. In this case a video would have definitely helped. I agree though layering the pasta sheets was clumsy and not quite perfect -in the cooked end result no one could tell.
Yes making this dish in the instapot is really no sweat if you are cooking for 4!
I wonder if "whole grain/whole wheat" oven ready/no boil lasagna sheets are available in the stores? That would make it even more nutritious.
Thank you Kalyani! Great idea to use TJ's frozen mushroom medley and other veggies. I struggled fitting the long pasta sheets in a circular pan too. Hopefully they will make round pasta sheets!
To use the frozen mushroom medley and spiralized carrots, do I need to thaw or cook these first, or just add them in frozen and cook in instant pot per Archana's instructions?
I would thaw them and then add
Would this work with regular gluten-free (rice) lasagna noodles?
Hi Dana, I have not tried with rice noodle, but I think they should work
Hi Archana , what does npr mean?
Natural pressure release. You let the steam release gradually after the pressure cooking cycle is completed
I don't have a 7" cakepan but the pan you use in the pictures looks kind of like the metal insert for my old rice cooker (from my pre-IP days)...could I make prep the lasagna in that and place it on a trivet in the IP? Thanks!
Your recipes are always on point! This looks delish! Do you have a preferred store bought Marinara sauce? I have not found the "one" yet.
Yes Rao’s marinara is delicious and so is Trader Joe’s
Is your nutrition value per portion or the whole dish please.
Diane S Comforti says
This recipe tasted delicious. The combination of the different layers with noodles, vegetables, cheeses (and I used an egg also) and sauce was yummy but I had a couple of issues to share. To start, I used frozen chopped spinach in a box and it was a frozen block when I did the sauté step. It probably took 15 minutes to sauté and generated a lot of water...I am guessing the solution is to use frozen spinach in a bag instead? My noodles were hard in places around the edges...I was a little tricky to layer the square noodles in the round pan. I did need to let the pan cool before removing and serving since it is pretty hot when it comes out of the instant pot.
I will definitely make this lasagna again though. My family ate the whole dish! I usually use Rao sauce but it was sold out so I used the Ragu Traditional Marinara sauce and it was fine.
Thank you for the detailed feedback. I agree trying to arrange square pieces in a round pan can be tricky. Also make sure all the pasta is covered with sauce.
Steve Colvin says
How would the recipe change if using fresh lasagna noodles?
I have not tried with fresh lasagna noodles but I think the same recipe will work perfectly! Fresh noodles sound delish BTW 🙂
Can I make this recipe in a regular oven (I am feeding a large group)? If yes, what temp should I bake it?
Bake for 25 minutes covered at 375 F. Remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.