With a perfect balance of subtle sweetness and a touch of spice, this Tomato and Beet Soup is ready in just 30 minutes using the Instant Pot. Served with crunchy croutons this make-ahead soup is healthy and so satisfying.
Not only does this soup look gorgeous but it also has the perfect balance of subtle sweetness from the beets and carrots and a touch of spice from fresh ground pepper. The idea of taking something classic like tomato soup and adding an unexpected ingredient like the vibrant beet in this recipe has my mom's style of cooking written all over it.
Don't have an Instant Pot? I have also shared the stovetop version of this tomato beet soup.
This tomato soup uses fresh ingredients in addition to a few basic pantry staples:
- Tomatoes - Vine ripened tomatoes work best for this recipe and they are a good source of Vitamin C and are good for your skin too
- Beet Root - Most grocery stores sell loose beets, so go ahead and pick one. This recipe is a great way to add the nutrient dense beets to your diet.
- Carrots - Available year round, carrots are packed with nutrients. They add subtle sweetness and creamy texture to this soup
- Arrow root powder or Corn starch - Stirring in a little bit of corn starch or arrow root slurry to the soup, adds body and creminess to the soup. You can also stir in heavy cream or your favorite vegan cream instead.
Before I get into the recipe, let's discuss the cumin seeds and ghee Tadka. This quick and simple tempering step adds earthy nutty flavors to the soup. I love to add it as a finishing touch to this soup.
Traditionally the tadka for tomato soup is made in aromatic ghee. You can easily make this recipe vegan by using neutral vegetable oil or if you are on an oil-free diet, simply skip this step.
Step by Step Instructions
- Add tomatoes, carrots, beet, cinnamon stick and salt to the Instant Pot.
- Add 3 cups of water. Close the Instant Pot with pessure release valve to sealing. Pressure Cook for 10 minutes. Allow natural pressure release.
- Open Instant Pot, take the cinnamon stick out and discard.
- Blend the soup using an immersion blender to a smooth consistency.
- Set Instant Pot to Saute mode. Mix arrowroot powder in ¼ cup of water and slowly stir it in the soup.
- Add the cumin seed tadka. Add black pepper and adjust salt to taste. Bring the soup to a gentle boil
Serve the soup hot with croutons. For a delicious lunch or dinner, serve alongside a grilled cheese sandwich or a salad. For a gluten-free option use gluten-free croutons.
Any leftover can be refrigerated for up to five days.
This tomato, beet, and carrot soup is also a perfect make-ahead recipe. You can make this and refrigerate it for up to 5 days. To reheat simply microwave or reheat on the stovetop.
Did you enjoy this quick and easy Instant Pot soup? Here are some more vegetarian soups that are on our repeat list:
- Pasta e Fagioli Soup
- Lemon Coriander Soup with Tofu
- French Onion Soup
- Creamy Tomato Soup
- Low Carb Mulligatawny Soup
Instant Pot Tomato Beet Soup
- 4 red ripe tomatoes quartered
- 2 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 medium beet peeled and cubed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 cups water
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour or corn starch
- ¼ cup water
- Add tomatoes, carrots, beet, cinnamon stick and salt to the Instant Pot. Add water. Close the Instant Pot with pressure release valve to sealing. Pressure Cook for 10 minutes. Allow natural pressure release.
- Open Instant Pot, take the cinnamon stick out and discard. Blend the soup using an immersion blender to a smooth consistency.
- Set Instant Pot to Saute mode. Mix arrowroot powder (or corn starch) in ¼ cup of water and slowly stir it in the soup.
- Add black pepper and adjust salt to taste. Bring the soup to a gentle boil and enjoy hot with crunchy croutons.
- Stirring in a little bit of corn starch or arrow root slurry to the soup adds body and creaminess to the soup. You can also stir in heavy cream or your favorite vegan cream instead.