The rich aromatic Thai Red Curry Chicken is on our repeat list for busy weeknights as well as relaxed weekend meals. This authentic tasting red curry gets a flavor punch from sweet and spicy colorful peppers picked from our local farmers market and is garnished with fresh Thai basil leaves.
From curries to rice dishes to noodles, we have been garnishing them all in ambundance with our homegrown aromatic Thai basil – a star ingredient!
I love using colorful peppers in this curry, but you can also add other vegetables like carrots, zucchini, sliced bamboo shoots, mushrooms or Thai eggplant. Adding the veggies in the end and simmering them just for a few minutes keeps them crunchy and gives a flavor burst to this curry.
Simmered in coconut milk, spiced with red curry paste; this easy Thai red curry chicken soup has a hint of sweetness and is loaded with crunchy, assorted peppers. Served with steamed Jasmine rice makes an easy meal that gets polished off in no time.
Few Variations for THAI RED CURRY CHICKEN:
Add 1 tEAspOON ginger for some zest
Squeeze fresh lime for fresh tangy flavors
Add Kafir leaves for a unique Thai taste
Check out this video for an easy Thai Red Chicken Curry recipe in Instant Pot:
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2-4 tablespoon red curry paste (Love Maesri brand)
- 1.5 pound thin chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 can low-fat coconut milk, unsweetened (Love Trader Joe’s)
- 1-2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 jalapeno or Thai chili, sliced (optional for spicy curry)
- 1 cup yellow onion, sliced
- 1 cup red peppers, sliced
- 1 cup yellow peppers, sliced
- 1 cup orange peppers, sliced
- Handful Thai basil leaves
- Set Instant Pot to Saute(more) mode. Once the ‘hot’ sign displays add oil and 2 tablespoons of red curry paste. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add Chicken and mix it well with the red curry paste.
- Add coconut milk (Note for a less soupy curry, add only half the can).
- Close Instant Pot with the pressure valve to sealing.
- Cook on Manual(Hi) for 2 minutes followed by Natural Pressure Release. (Increase cook time for thicker chicken breasts to 4 mins)
- Open Instant Pot, stir in fish sauce and brown sugar.
- For spicier curry add remaining red curry paste and hot peppers.
- Add onions, red, yellow and orange the peppers. Stir in well.
- Set Instant Pot to Saute mode and bring the curry to a gentle boil (about 2-3 minutes). This will allow the veggies to stay crunchy. Garnish with the Thai basil leaves.
- Enjoy hot with Jasmine rice.