Shahi Chicken Korma - A "royal" Mughlai dish made with chicken cooked in a creamy spicy sauce and garnished with golden fried nuts and raisins that add subtle sweetness to the curry.
This post uses affiliate links to share the products we love! ♥
Traditionally made in a white sauce and garnished with a super-thin silver sheet known as "vark", Korma was cooked in the Mughal kitchen to serve to the emperors. This Instant Pot recipe is a twist to the traditional version and is inspired by my memories of eating this dish in restaurants in India.
Pot in Pot Rice
This shahi chicken korma recipe also has optional pot in pot steps to cook rice along with the chicken curry using these Instant Pot accessories:
Step by step Shahi Chicken Korma Recipe using Instant Pot
- Make a smooth puree of onion, coconut, ginger and garlic using water
- Fry cashews and raisins in ghee on sauté mode until cashews turn golden brown and raisins plump up. Reserve.
- Saute the onion and coconut puree for 3 to 4 minutes or until the raw smell of onion is gone. Add spices, tomato puree, and chicken.
- Mix well and turn the Instant Pot off. PRO Tip - It is very important to turn the Instant Pot off at this step. This will make sure that the liquids do not evaporate and the Instant Pot comes to pressure with less liquid. Carefully place the tall trivet and rice pot over the trivet. Note that making rice is an optional step.
- Pressure cook for 5 minutes, followed by 5 minutes natural pressure cooker. Open the Instant Pot. Carefully take the rice pot and the trivet out.
- Stir in cashew cream. Garnish with cilantro and reserved cashews and raisins. Optionally honey can be stirred in.
Enjoy hot with steamed rice and naan!
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Chicken Shahi Korma - Instant Pot
- ¼ cup ghee
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 20 cashews
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut unsweetened, dry, shredded
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
Optional Pot in Pot rice:
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- Make a smooth puree of the onions, coconut, garlic and ginger using ¼ cup of water.
- Set the Instant Pot to Sauté mode and heat 2 tablespoons ghee. Add the cashews and raisins and cook for 2-3 minutes until the raisins start to plump up and the cashews start turning golden brown. Take the raisins and cashews and reserve.
- Add remaining ghee and pureed onion and coconut. Saute for 3 to 4 minutes as the raw smell of the onions goes away.
- Add all the spices, tomato puree and chicken. Mix well. Press Cancel to turn the Instant Pot off. Note, it is very important to turn the Instant Pot off at this step. This will make sure that the liquids do not evaporate and the Instant Pot comes to pressure with less liquid.
- Place the tall trivet over the chicken. Add rice, water and salt to a stainless steel pan and place the pan over the trivet.
- Close the Instant Pot with Pressure Valve to sealing. Pressure Cook(Hi) for 5 minutes. Allow 5 minutes of natural pressure release.
- Make a smooth puree using the ¼ cup of cashews and ¼ cup of water. Set aside.
- Release the remaining pressure and open the Instant Pot. Carefully take out the rice pan and the trivet. Set the Instant Pot to saute mode. Stir in the cashew paste and honey and cook until the curry comes to a gentle boil. Garnish with cilantro, reserved cashews and raisins. Serve with steamed basmati rice and naan.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥