Spinach Daal is a staple dish in many Indian homes! It is a protein-rich dish cooked with tomatoes, garlic, and spinach. This recipe uses the Instant Pot pressure cooker to achieve an authentic taste in no time!
A few weeks back I published a post on Indian Pulses. The lentils I used for making today's spinach daal in Instant Pot are the 'split and skinned green gram'. These are small yellow lentils that cook super fast. Yellow pigeon peas or split red lentils would be my other two favorite lentils to make this daal.
Growing up, I remember eating many variations of Indian daals made by my mom. Spinach daal is one of her recipe that I adapted for my busy life style with little children. This daal beautifully incorporates protein and veggies in one dish.
Served with steamed rice it sure makes a wholesome and hearty meal. Over the years I have simplified my mom's recipe and here is my version that we enjoy frequently:
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Spinach Daal - Instant Pot
- 2 tablespoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 2 green chilies slit into half
- 2 tablespoon garlic chopped
- 8 curry leaves optional
- 2 plum tomatoes diced
- 1 cup lentils split and skinned green gram or split red lentils or yellow pigeon peas
- 2 cups spinach rough chopped
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 4-5 cups of water
- Turn Instant Pot on. Once the "hot" sign displays, add ghee. Add cumin and cook for 30 seconds. Add turmeric, green chilies, garlic, and curry leaves. Mix well.
- Add tomatoes, lentils, salt, and 2 cups of water. Give a quick stir.
- Close Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Set Instant Pot to Manual(HI) for 15 mins. Allow Natural pressure release or do Quick Release, after, about 5 mins of NPR.
- Add more water, about 2 cups, to bring the lentils to desired consistency. Blend the daal using an immersion blender. Add chopped spinach and mix well. Cook on Sauté mode until the daal come to a gentle boil. Turn IP off. Add more water if required. Adjust salt to taste.
- Serve hot with steamed basmati rice.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking ♥