A flavor-bursting, healthy mango salad with refreshing cucumbers and red onions, drizzled with sweet and spicy dressing and topped with crunchy roasted peanuts. Best of all it is ready in 20 minutes!
Not even exaggerating here, as it is THE BEST vegan mango salad. It truly is! And I am guilty of not sharing this with you guys earlier. I must confess that this salad along with the avocado chickpea chaat has been on repeat at my home for the last 6 months.
It all started with a cooking class I taught at this incredible store "Olive-r -Twist" in my town. When I started exploring all the products their "Alfoos Mango Balsamic Vinegar" caught my eye. The name took me back to the memories of eating the aromatic Indian Alphonso Mangoes. And the rest is history!
This Spicy Mango Salad recipe was developed with the help of my awesome cousin. Making sure to let mango shine as the star ingredient in this salad, we carefully picked a few other vegetables to compliment the flavors and texture - Persian cucumbers, red onion, and cilantro. To take the crunch up a notch and add some protein, topped the salad with some roasted peanuts! It will probably remind you of the Thai Green Papaya Salad / Som Tam.
- Mangoes - semi-ripe firm mangoes work best for this recipe. I love Kent or Atulfo variety; they are sweet and not too fibrous
- Cucumbers - seedless small Persian cucumbers work great. If you have English cucumbers, take out the excess seeds
- Onion - red onion adds a beautiful contrast of color and peppery flavors
- White Balsamic Vinegar - fruity mango-flavored vinegar adds a beautiful floral aroma
- Green Chili Olive Oil - green chili-infused olive oil adds a perfect kick to the salad without making it overly spicy or having to bite into pieces of hot chili.
How to Prep Vegetables For Mango Salad
- Batonnet cut for mangoes and cucumbers - After trying from julienne to small dice, the Batonnet cut which literally looks like little sticks work the best for the mangoes and cucumbers. The thick-cut pieces add a nice mouthful, meaty and satisfying texture.
- Slice the onions thin. Pro Tip - After cutting the onion in half and peeling the skin off, soak it in water for 5 mins. This will reduce the astringent flavor.
- Chop cilantro along with stems, as they add a nice crunch, flavor, and nutrition.
THE BEST Dressing for Mango Salad and Substitutions
- Simply mix in the fragrant, sweet, and tart Alfoos Mango White Balsamic Vinegar and Baklouti Green Chili Olive Oil to the salad. I buy them from my local Olive-R-Twist store. Depending on your taste preference you can add more or less of each of these two ingredients.
- Check out your local specialty olive oil stores, Williams Sonoma, and whole foods and they will have similar brands that sell Mango Balsamic Vinegar. I also like the A L' Olivier Mango Vinegar that is available in many stores and also on Amazon.
- Any other fruity, sweet white balsamic vinegar can also be substituted for the mango vinegar.
- I have also used grated ginger, honey, and plain white balsamic vinegar as a nice substitute for mango vinegar.
- Green Chili infused olive oils are available in many grocery stores and online. Although, you can simply slice green chilies, pour olive oil over them, and stir in the salad.
How to Make Mango Salad
- Peel and cut the mango into 2-inch X ¼th-inch sticks.
- Peel and cut cucumbers into 2-inch X ¼th-inch sticks. Thinly slice the onion. Add chopped mangoes, cucumbers, and onion to a medium bowl.
- Stir in 2 to 3 tablespoons of mango white balsamic vinegar and 1 to 2 tablespoons of green chili olive oil. Mix well. Taste as you go and adjust the dressing to your taste.
- Garnish with cilantro and chopped peanuts. Serve Immediately or Chill and serve (photos 1 - 4)
For me, this Spicy Mango Salad makes a delicious meal by itself. But here are some ideas to pair the salad with. Serve this refreshing salad alongside your summer barbeque, burgers, or with Tandoori Chicken, Spicy Tinga Tacos, Salmon Tikka Masala Skewers, or Tandoori fish!
Love Mangoes as much as we do? Here are some of our favorites:
From light and fresh lunches to dinner parties and potlucks, everyone will fall in love with this sweet and spicy mango salad. So go ahead and try it today!
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Spicy Mango Salad
- 2 large mangoes firm-ripe
- 2 persian cucumbers
- 1 medium red onion
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- ½ cup roasted peanuts rough chopped, optional
- 2 to 3 tablespoons alfoos mango white balsamic vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons green chili olive oil
- salt to taste
- Peel and cut the mango into 2-inch X ¼-inch sticks. Peel and cut cucumbers into 2-inch X ¼-inch sticks. Thinly slice onion
- Add chopped mangoes, cucumbers and onion to a medium bow. Stir in 2 to 3 tablespoons of mango white balsamic vinegar and 1 to 2 tablespoons of green chili olive oil. Mix well. Garnish with cilantro and chopped peanuts. Serve Immediately or Chill and serve.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking