A flavor bursting, healthy mango salad with refreshing cucumbers and red onions, drizzled with sweet and spicy dressing and topped with crunchy roasted peanuts. Best of all it is ready in 20 minutes!
Not even exaggertaing here, as it is THE BEST vegan mango salad. It truly is! And I am guilty of not sharing this with you guys earlier. I must confess that this salad has been on repeat at my home for the last 6 months.
It all started with a cooking class I taught at this incredible store “Olive-r -Twist” in my town. When I started exploring all the products their “Alfoos Mango Balsamic Vinegar” caught my eye. The name took me back to the memories of eating the aromatic Indian Alphonso Mangoes. And the rest is a history!
This Spicy Mango Salad recipe was developed with the help of my awesome cousin. Making sure to let mango shine as the star ingredient in this salad, we carefully picked a few other vegetables to compliment the flavors and texture – persian cucumbers, red onion and cilantro. To take the crunch up a notch and add some protein, topped the salad with some roasted peanuts! It will probably remind you of the Thai Green Papaya Salad / Som Tam.
How to perfectly chop the vegetables for Mango Salad:
- Batonnet cut for mangoes and cucumbers – After trying from julienne to small dice, the Batonnet cut which literally looks like little sticks works the best for the mangoes and cucumbers. The thick cut pieces add a nice mouthful, meaty and satisfying texture.
- Slice the onions thin. Pro Tip – After cutting the onion in half and peeling the skin off, soak it in water for 5 mins. This will reduce the astringent flavor.
- Chop cilantro along with stems, as they add a nice crunch, flavor and nutrition.
How to make THE BEST dressing for Mango Salad and substitutions
- Simply mix-in the fragrant, sweet and tart Alfoos Mango White Balsamic Vinegar and Baklouti Green Chili Olive Oil to the salad. I buy them from my local Olive-R-Twist store. Depending on your taste preference you can add more or less of each of these two ingredients.
- Check out your local speciality olive oil stores, william sonoma, whole foods and they will have similar brands that sell Mango Balsalmic Vinegar. I also like the A L’ Olivier Mango Vinegar that is available in many stores and also amazon.
- Any other fruity, sweet white balsamic vinegar can also be substituted for the mango vinegar.
- I have also used grated ginger, honey and plain white balasamic vinegar as a nice substitute to mango vinegar.
- Green Chili infused olive oils are available in many grocery store and online. Although, you can simply slice green chilies, pour olive oil over it and stir in the salad.
Steps for Simple Mango Salad recipe:
- Peel and cut mango into 2 inch X 1/4th inch sticks. Peel and cut cucumbers into 2 inch X 1/4th inch sticks. Thinly slice onion. Add chopped mangoes, cucumbers and onion to a medium bow. Stir in 2 to 3 tablespoons of mango white balsamic vinegar and 1 to 2 tablespoons of green chili olive oil. Mix well. Taste as you go and adjust the dressing to your taste. Garnish with cilantro and chopped peanuts. Serve Immediately or Chill and serve (photos 1 – 4).
How to pair Mango Salad?
For me, this Spicy Mango Salad makes a delicious meal by itself. But here are some ideas to pair the salad with. Serve this refreshing salad along side your summer barbeque, burgers or with Tandoori Chicken , Spicy Tinga Tacos , Salmon Tikka Masala Skewers or Tandoori fish !
Love Mangoes as much as we do? Here are some of our favorites:
From light and fresh lunches to dinner parties and potlucks, everyone will fall in love with this sweet and spicy mango salad. So go ahead and try it today!
★ Have you tried this recipe? We love your feedback, Please click on the stars in the recipe card below to rate.
Spicy Mango Salad
- 2 large mangoes firm-ripe
- 2 persian cucumbers
- 1 medium red onion
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts rough chopped, optional
- 2 to 3 tablespoons alfood mango white balsamic vinegar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons green chili olive oil
- salt to taste
- Peel and cut mango into 2 inch X 1/4th inch sticks. Peel and cut cucumbers into 2 inch X 1/4th inch sticks. Thinly slice onion
- Add chopped mangoes, cucumbers and onion to a medium bow. Stir in 2 to 3 tablespoons of mango white balsamic vinegar and 1 to 2 tablespoons of green chili olive oil. Mix well. Garnish with cilantro and chopped peanuts. Serve Immediately or Chill and serve.
♥ We LOVE to hear from you! Did you try this recipe? Please share your food photo with hashtag #ministryofcurry on Facebook or Instagram, so we can see it and our followers can enjoy it too! Thank you and Happy Cooking