Carrot Halwa, AKA ‘gajar ka halwa’, is a sweet stewed carrots dessert with a delicate aroma of cardamom and saffron!
This year we celebrated mothers day with this delicious Indian dessert cooked in the Instant Pot! The traditional carrot halwa recipes uses milk, condensed milk or evaporated milk. Since this is one of my favorite desserts and I can’t stop myself from overeating, I try to make it a little healthier. My carrot halwa recipe is almost dairy free, but I do use homemade ghee which can be substituted for vegetable oil. I substitute the milk and cream with almond milk and almond flour making it a healthier lightly sweetened dessert.
Here is a video on how to make this dessert quickly in your Instant Pot!
- 2 tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 10 carrots, peeled and grated (About 6 cups packed)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup almond meal
- 2 tsp cardamom powder
- 2 tbsp raisins
- ½ tsp saffron
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds or pistachios (for garnish)
- Tun Instant Pot to Saute(Hi) mode. Add ghee and grated carrots. Cook for 2-3 mins with the glass lid on.
- Add almond milk and close the lid with the pressure value set to sealing. Set Instant Pot to Manual(Hi) for 5 mins. Quick release.
- Add sugar, almond meal, cardamom powder, raisins and saffron.Mix well.
- Turn Instant Pot to Saute(Hi) and cook for 5-7 mins most of the liquids are evaporated.
- Garnish with sliced almonds or pistachios.
- Serve hot or chilled.