Ghee, a staple in Indian cooking, is popular for its high-smoke point and nutty, toasted flavor! The best and purest ghee is the one that is home-made from grass-fed, organic, unsalted butter. In addition to my stove top version, here is how to make homemade ghee in Instant Pot!
Ghee is made using unsalted butter and is cooked longer than clarified butter. So rather than stop cooking when the milk solids separate, for ghee you want to keep going until the solids brown and fall to the bottom of the pan. It has longer shelf life and can be stored at room temperature. Although, ghee is sold in many stores, it is very easy to make it at home. I love the aroma and flavor of the homemade ghee made using unsalted Irish kerry gold butter.
Last few months I have been making ghee in my Instant Pot. I like how much faster it cooks and so I decided to make a video to show on how to make homemade ghee using Instant Pot in 10 mins. There are few websites with slow cooker version of ghee in Instant Pot and I am sure they all work great. I usually do not have time or patience to spend 2-3 hours in slow cooking mode. So here is a quick 10-minute method if you are in crunch of time. This 10 minute method works perfectly for 16 oz of butter. If you are doubling the recipe you will need 15 mins of cook time in the Instant Pot.
Here is a link to my stove top version of homemade ghee. I use ghee in most of my cooking and baking. Here are some of my favorite recipes using ghee – bisi bele bhath – Instant Pot, butter chicken, lentils with drumstick leaves, chana masala, parathas and flatbreads and many yummy desserts!
- 16 oz unsalted Irish kerry gold butter
- Unwrap and add, 16 oz irish kerrygold unsalted butter sticks to the IP insert .
- Turn IP on to Saute Mode, Adjust to Normal (not More or Less). Set a timer for 9 mins.
- Stir every 2-3 mins. Turn IP off once the 9 min timer goes off, butter will continue to cook for few mins. Allow it cool down.
- Strain the ghee using a fine mesh filter or cheesecloth into a dry and clean container.
- Cool completely before closing the lid.
- Note: Always use a clean, dry spoon or knife when using ghee.