Chicken Korma – A mildly spiced chicken curry made with whole spices like cardamom, cloves, black pepper, and cumin simmered in a light, flavorful yogurt based sauce!
After publishing several Instant Pot recipes, I realized that not everyone enjoys spicy foods. Some children might like to try Indian food but will not because it could be too spicy! As much as I love spices, I do not like them overpowering my food. Just because it is Indian food, it does NOT have to be spicy!
This simple Chicken Korma recipe is a perfect dish if you enjoy mild curries without worrying about possible heart burn. If you enjoy eating chicken drumsticks, this would be a perfect recipe for you to try. This curry can also be made with chicken thighs or breasts with or without bones, although I would recommend making this with thigh meat for a moist and flavorful curry. If you prefer a creamier curry, stir in a couple spoons of cashew cream (cashews soaked in warm milk and pureed) in the end.
Lastly, do not confuse this recipe with the shahi chicken korma, which is a variation of this recipe with a hint of sweetness from nuts and raisins. I will post my recipe of the shahi korma soon.. so stay tuned!
- 1.5 lb chicken thighs cut into pieces (I used 6 skinless drumsticks)
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 green cardamom, whole
- 4 cloves
- 12 black pepper
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ - 1 tsp kashmiri chili powder or any mild red chili powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ cup full fat or greek yogurt
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- Cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Turn IP to sauté mode, Once the ‘hot’ sign displays add oil and whole spices (cardamom, cloves, black pepper and cumin). Saute for 30 secs.
- Add onion and mix well. Saute for 2 min covered with glass lid.
- Add ginger, garlic, turmeric, red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add chicken, mix well to evenly coat all the spices to the chicken.
- Add ¼ cup of water. Close Instant Pot with pressure valve to sealing. Cook on Manual(Hi) for 8 mins followed by 5 min Natural release.
- Open IP, Add few spoonful of hot curry to the yogurt and mix well. This step is important to avoid the cold yogurt getting split in the curry.
- Cook on Saute mode to thicken the sauce. Garnish with chopped cilantro!
- Note: I enjoy this curry a bit soupy. If you want a thick curry, reduce the ¼ cup water by adding only 2 tbsp of water and saute in the end for few extra minutes.
- For boneless chicken thighs or breasts - cook for 5 mins followed by NPR.